Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billett/smooth hand grips.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:11 AM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Billett/smooth hand grips.

Hope this thread aint too boring!
Has anybody got the smooth type billet hand grips or the "cheese hole" style hand grips.
I'm looking to purchase some off these but am a little concerned they may be uncomfortable and slippery,also the cheese hole style "do they get grit and sh*t in the holes and make the throttle sticky and gritty ????

Also heard they fit slopperly on the bars and you need tp pad out with tape !!!

cheers

Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I got some performance machine renthal grips. Just billet grips with a rubber wrap. Billet grips are usually held on with set screws. From my experience, throw some grip glue in there before you tighten the set screws and ride off. I didn't use glue at first and my left grip came off while I was riding in the mountains. I didn't wreck but it was ..interesting..and not boring at all.

Last edited by deadeye; 10-20-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I think they look great, but a friend has a smooth pointed set on his Victory and said he wouldn't get another set unless it was for a trailer queen show bike. THe smooth surface looks nice but unless you wear some kind of glove (fingerless gloves anyone?) for traction the throttle slips every time he starts to relax his hand a little. Especially in warmer weather when your hand sweats a little.
Personally I don't think it would be very comfortable to have to vise grip the thing on longer rides.
The holed or knerled (diamond patterned) ones should give you a better grip but I have to wonder how any of the solid metal ones would feel in colder weather.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd love to see this thread revived. I'm looking to buy a pair of completely smooth billet grips. I DO always wear gloves so I'm thinking I should be fine with grip?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the smooth grips, too damn slippery.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:33 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I have smooth chrome "spike" grips on my bike. No only are they slippery, but they "dish down" in the middle. After a 1000km ride one day after just getting them, my hand hurt for a full week. In the end, I loved the spike look, so I took hockey stick tape (white to match the bike) and leveled off the dish. Gives good grip, and I know it sounds red-neck, but I actually really like the look. Just freshen it up a little every now and then to keep it looking clean. Sorry, bikes in storage so I can't give you a pic.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
I have smooth chrome "spike" grips on my bike. No only are they slippery, but they "dish down" in the middle. After a 1000km ride one day after just getting them, my hand hurt for a full week. In the end, I loved the spike look, so I took hockey stick tape (white to match the bike) and leveled off the dish. Gives good grip, and I know it sounds red-neck, but I actually really like the look. Just freshen it up a little every now and then to keep it looking clean. Sorry, bikes in storage so I can't give you a pic.
Sounds like EXACTLY the same grips I am looking at. Now I have TWO reasons not to get them. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to know, but I'm pissed off right now! *LOL* Slippery AND the fact that they are not flat. I'm looking @ Thunder Cycle grips and they do make my spike grips with some texture but they are still not flat.

Just to confirm, slippery WITH gloves on? Seems like leather wouldn't slip on chrome???

I haven't changed grips b4 but I imagine it is not something I want to do on a regular basis.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a set of Ness smooth chrome grips for several years on my ride. I always wear gloves so they were fine. If you have ever been down you will agree that always wearing gloves is a good idea. I like the skin on my hands.

Now back to the subject at hand. They get pretty cold in the winter. They get warm in teh summer. However I enver had any issues with comfort. I am definitely not a death grip guys so maybe that contributed, but they are not as comfortable as the renthal rubber wrapped grips. That is a fact. It all comes down to the same thing as everything else with a bike. Form vs. function. What is the most important thing to you?

These grips were on my bike when I bought it used and they looked great. I now run the Kury ISO's as I find them far more comfortable.

Drew

Old 03-08-2011, 03:36 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hogdiver96
Hope this thread aint too boring!
Has anybody got the smooth type billet hand grips or the "cheese hole" style hand grips.
I'm looking to purchase some off these but am a little concerned they may be uncomfortable and slippery,also the cheese hole style "do they get grit and sh*t in the holes and make the throttle sticky and gritty ????

Also heard they fit slopperly on the bars and you need tp pad out with tape !!!

cheers
Slick in the rain

Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Sounds like EXACTLY the same grips I am looking at. Now I have TWO reasons not to get them. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to know, but I'm pissed off right now! *LOL* Slippery AND the fact that they are not flat. I'm looking @ Thunder Cycle grips and they do make my spike grips with some texture but they are still not flat.

Just to confirm, slippery WITH gloves on? Seems like leather wouldn't slip on chrome???

I haven't changed grips b4 but I imagine it is not something I want to do on a regular basis.
Yup, as is, they suck, but in the end I'm happy with what I have done to mine and have no plans to ever change them. not hard to change though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Billett/smooth hand grips.