Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major decision on 2 new bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Major decision on 2 new bikes.

After much information gathering about Harley-Davidson products both positive and negative, I,ve decided to ask you riders for your input. It,s going to be a softail custom for me and a sportster 1200low for her. Now, you guy,s may be the wrong ones to ask but forgive my innocence. Do the bikes you ride make you happy, are they good bikes in a reliability kind of way.Will my wife and I be stranded on a lonely desert road, we Canadians don,t carry guns. Ive heard and read so much good and some bad things on the internet about your bikes. Most folks love your bikes, the look , the undeniable sound, they think all bikes wth any kind of V-twin sound is a Harley-Davidson. The bottom line is , Will I be sorry I bought a Harley? Will it be a major pain?

P.S. Why is there so much negativity towards your bikes from some other riders. Nothing but bad from there sites. Thanks for your help and please be gentle.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

Go to the local stealer and test ride both of them. If you can't find a stealer that will allow that, rent each one for a day to make sure. As far as the negativity goes, it really boils down to this: There's two types of bikers. Those that own a Harley and those that wish they did!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2004 Softtail Deuce with about 23K miles. The only thing done to it is the normal services and tires. I have had no trouble what so ever. My 2007 Road Glide with 20K+ miles being the same. Harley is very dependable. My suggestion is rent what you think you want in a bike to make sure it is what you want.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been riding bikes for 7 years now, and my last two bikes were both Hondas. While I really liked both of them, neither compare to the Fat Boy I picked up a few weeks ago.....nothing but smiles and miles since.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:07 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

while I have nothing against any other brand, you're either riding a motorcycle - or you're riding a Harley. to me, Harleys are a state of mind.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is nothing like wrapping your legs around a Harley. I don't regret buying a Harley for a second. Love the bike. Should have done it ten years ago

Old 10-21-2008, 10:22 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
I have a 2004 Softtail Deuce with about 23K miles. The only thing done to it is the normal services and tires. I have had no trouble what so ever. My 2007 Road Glide with 20K+ miles being the same. Harley is very dependable. My suggestion is rent what you think you want in a bike to make sure it is what you want.
I went to a demo ride and rode 3 bikes, a Fatboy, a Nightster and a Streetbob. I have always wanted one but ever since the demo I,ve been hooked. Now I have all this indecision because of a few websites.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't begin to tell you how happy I have been since I bought my Harley. Like some of the other guys have said already, those people who knock on us for riding Harleys are probably jealous because they don't have one. they are reliable like you wouldn't believe. Rent before you buy to make sure it's what you really want. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH A HARLEY.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some food for thought...Harley is one of the only motorcycle companies out there that only sell bikes....Harley sells more bikes than all of the other companies combined....I am willing to bet that there are more happy Harley riders than not...Just ask the millions of people who attend the yearly HOG rallies sponsered by Harley....I think you will be more than happy with a Harley...especially the Softail Custom you want....Don't think you and your wife would be as happy on a Sportster...Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Lowbro
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skid, if you do go with a HD, you wont go back to anything less !

Quick Reply: Major decision on 2 new bikes.