Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

routine maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 PM
letacur
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default routine maintenance

my old man wants me to let him do the 5000 mile maintenance on my softail and I want the dealership to do it while it is still under warranty...I kinda don't want any one to do anything to it while it is under warranty for fear if anything is found wrong it wouldn't be covered if someone else is doing the job.

Am I wrong? or should I allow him to take care of the work himself? of course his reasoning is he can do it for a lot less money then the almost $300.00 the dealership will charge.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are wrong! Your dad will probably do a better job than the dealer and doing your own maintenance will not void your warranty. I personally would never pay the dealer to do a oil change

Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 PM
letacur
Cruiser

This is where I was hoping to go with the questions asked...don't they do more then just the oil change? just wondering?

LOL my old man is not my dad but my husband.

Last edited by letacur; 10-23-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:39 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

Depends on his skills. If the bike has a problem later that is not directly due to the work he did or did not do, the warranty should be fine.

Here is a link to a maintenance list I found (pdf):

rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will get a much better job out of hubby than some zitz faced kid. Gives you a chance to jump in and help as well as learn about you bikes different service areas. That's if you two can work together.
Ron

07fat_boy
Cruiser

HD cannot deny a warranty claim if you do your own work. There's some court case that set the legal precedent for stuff like this. I can't remember the names, but I'm sure someone here knows it and will chime in.

I'm not sure what all gets done at the 5000 mile service, but if your husband has a service manual for your bike and can turn a wrench, then he's just as competent as most of the knucle-heads working in the service department at your HD dealership. I've always done my own maintenance on my bikes, and I intend to continue to do so. The way I see it, riding a bike is way more dangerous than driving a car, and I don't want to leave anything that could seriously effect my safety in the hands of someone who has no vested interest in the upkeep of my bike.....call me paranoid if you want, that's just my opinion.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky 13
You are wrong! Your dad will probably do a better job than the dealer and doing your own maintenance will not void your warranty. I personally would never pay the dealer to do a oil change
This is how I feel about it, but that's just me and I hate forking over money for things I can do myself. It's nice to be able to care for your own vehicle, and who know's who is working on it at the dealer.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He can buy the parts, keep his receipts and do the service. Keep in mind it is a service, not just an oil change. He has to go by the service intervals in the service manual.

People are so negative, I guess they think they sound like Billy Bad ***. I wrench at a dealer and treat a customers' bike better than my own. I would not want to risk someone's life because I screwed up. I do not like to be embarrassed by comebacks. I usually have customers raving about my work weeks fter I worked on their bike.

Not every wrench is an idiot. You do not know how many customers screw up their own bike doing their own service. I just had a customer with 15,000 miles on his bike. Apparently he never tightened his spokes (he stated he doesn't have a spoke wrench) he now has to buy himself a new wheel. It also pulls really bad to the left, because he never adjusted the steering head.

A "service" is not just an oil change. Let your "Old Man", S.O, Hubby, Spouse or even your Dad do the service properly using a service manual. LOL

Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
letacur
Cruiser

Thanks guys your answers are helping even if they are in hubby's favor, and your right it would give me the chance to learn more about my bike, as for working well together it really depends on the situation...I kinda got real pissed at him when he scratched some chrome when helping me with some ****ty saddle bags that I ended up not using at all because the look was all wrong after the install.

Last edited by letacur; 10-23-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:56 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer

Just give them your 50 bucks for a service manual then do it yourself.

Quick Reply: routine maintenance