Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax in a Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM
variablek
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax in a Rocker

About fuel management....ive got a rocker and was looking at the PCIII but recently I came across something on another forum called ThunderMax? Anyone had any luck with one of these? Or should I start my own thread?

THanks ahead of time!
VK

Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have one, and there is a fair sized group who do. One thing you will hear, besides we love it is that if you do get one, go the extra distance and get the Autotune option with it.
It will allow you to modify its internal maps, just like a SERT will on your stock ECM. But with the Autotune the unit will fine tune it for you so there is little or no need for a Dyno tune.
If there is a drawback to the system its that its not cheap. But if you consider what a PCIII or SERT will cost plus Dyno time, and more Dyno time whenever you change something the cost seems much more reasonable.

PS I moved this to its own thread, so you could get a bit more feedback.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 10-24-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:07 AM
variablek
Cruiser

Excellent thanks Citori! Yeah the whole point for me was the fact that I really wanted to do all the work myself (exhaust, af & fuel management) and didnt want to get the dyno work done on it. Ive been looking on their site (Tmax) and was wondering how much it would cost...including the autotune?

Also this would be my first time working on a bike like this so would it be really difficult for me? From what ive been reading you basically pic a map that is close to what you have on the bike and let the autotune figure everything else out...?

Thanks again!
Kyle

Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 AM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser

variblek,
I was also going to go that route (thundermax) and i do all the work myself, but the only problem i saw with it is there is really was not enough room to mount the unit or the power commander unit.Even though i hated to i went with the sert and had to have the dealer dyno it for me. i have done other mods since and i have had alot of the bike apart so if you get really really creative you can pull it off.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 AM
variablek
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gadawgsfan
variblek,
I was also going to go that route (thundermax) and i do all the work myself, but the only problem i saw with it is there is really was not enough room to mount the unit or the power commander unit.Even though i hated to i went with the sert and had to have the dealer dyno it for me. i have done other mods since and i have had alot of the bike apart so if you get really really creative you can pull it off.
I actually spoke to my stealor about that when i was considering a pcIII....the mechanic said they had figured it out and already put it on 3 bikes...however it involved removing the swingarm (if i can recall) and sticking it up under the back of the seat / mud guard for the rear tire. Hope i didnt muck that up since im not much of a mechanic...lol

Old 10-24-2008, 10:27 AM
sportncruise
Road Captain

I have the thundermax with auto tune and it isn't without its issues.
For instance they didn't have a map close to the cams I purchased so that meant having them change the map at a show then I still felt it wasn't right so they did it via email.

Also you may want to spend some time thinking about any future plans you may have. I really like head-quarters out of canada. At the time I bought my thundermax i didn't know that head-quarters has a unit similar to the thundermax that also works with the sert.

http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/efituning.html

Zippers also does complete builds and of course would support their parts with the thundermax.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gadawgsfan
variblek,
I don't know where you got your information on the TMax, but it is flawed.
The Tmax REPLACES the stock ECM, therefore NO additional space is required to mount it.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 AM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ought my T-Max.. Remove your old unit, put in the new.. May have to replace the O2 sensors. Done, after you load a map.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The units are not cheap like I said, I got REALLY lucky and fouind a place that was not going to carry them anymore, issues with the company and pricing, not problems with the units adn got the whole thing, Autotune and all for just under $600.
I think they are closer to $1000 now, but I don't know for sure, So I would look around, maybe you can get lucky too.
As for where to fit it in, the Rocker is a bit of an odd duck in my opinion. Its not a bad bike, but they didn't leave a lot of room under that cover for much and there's a bunch of electronics, wires, and a battery under there already. Its "SUPPOSED" to fit in place of the original ECM and in my bike it does, but it didn't go in without a little bit of "finessing" shall we say. The ECM isn't a big problem by itself, but with the Autotune module attached and the O2 sensor wires things get cramped under there.
As part of your research you might want to try e-mailing or calling Zippers to see if they have any feedback from other Rocker owners or any in house experience fitting one in.
Who knows they might have information we know nothing about because it hasn't been published or put on the web site yet.

Good Luck and ride safe.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 AM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser

i was told it was a little bit bigger than the stock ecm. i know you unplug the stock and just plug tmax in, but the stock ecm has very little extra room around it.the pc3 would be more of a challenge. not sure if you know the rocker is not like all the other softails thats the reason in all the books when you want to buy something for a softail it says
(except rocker).i didnt say it cant be done i said be creative and you can pull it off. im just trying to help another member and rocker owner save some researh time and aggravation.

Quick Reply: Thundermax in a Rocker