Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Fatboy oil level

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 06 Fatboy oil level

Bought my 06 FLSTFI on the 4th of Oct. Dealer assured me that bike had been inspected and fluids changed etc... Checked oil last night and it looked low to me? Granted this is my 1st bike so I'm not as up-to-speed as most of you.

If someone could give me an idea of how far up the stick I should see oil it might help me know for sure. I am new to owning a bike and I didn't get the owner's manual with this bike. ALSO, I was told earlier this morning that I had checked it while the bike was leaning on the kick-stand and should leveled the bike as much as possible before taking my readings?

When I checked the oil level last night it only came up just slightly above the fat triangular-shaped portion of the stick and, like I said, the bike was leaning.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:37 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was in your situation, I would have insisted upon a manual for the bike. In the manual it tells you how the oil should be checked.
I don't know about the 2006 model, but my 2008 manual states that the oil should be checked after bringing the engine to operating temperature, with the bike leaning on the jiffy stand.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:50 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
If I was in your situation, I would have insisted upon a manual for the bike. In the manual it tells you how the oil should be checked.
I don't know about the 2006 model, but my 2008 manual states that the oil should be checked after bringing the engine to operating temperature, with the bike leaning on the jiffy stand.
It's a used bike and it wasn't a harley dealership where I purchased it. It was a motorsports dealership and they told me they didn't have the manual. I might just spend the 20 bucks and get one... I'm sure I'll put it to good use.

thanks.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
BillyFB
Cruiser

You might consider saving the twenty and put fourty or so more with it and buy the complete service manual.
My 08 came with the owners manual of course. But the factory service manual is really what you should buy. That's my .02

Old 10-26-2008, 04:42 PM
1st HD
Outstanding HDF Member

Your bike should be brought up to operating temp and checked while on the jiffy stand.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:55 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are two marks on the stick. a low and a high, your oil level should be as 1st HD said on the side stand at operating temp, and the oil level should be about half way between the high and low mark. If you put more in and fill it to the high level, you will get to much pressure in your top end and it will vent (normal thing by the way) on the right side of your bike making a mess. So keep it about half way.

Good choice on year, model and color of bike as it reminds me of mine.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I always keep the oil level in the middle of two dipstick marks, every oil change 2.7 quarts bang on.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:42 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
I always keep the oil level in the middle of two dipstick marks, every oil change 2.7 quarts bang on.
Yep, 2.7 is about right for me too. Operating temp, on the jiffy stand.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:18 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

MY manuel on my 06 fatboy say's check oil with bike warmed up for 2 minutes and check on sidestand.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:35 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The preferred method is after coming back from a ride where the engine has gotten up to operating temperature. When you get home let it idle for 2 minutes before you shut the bike off. Wait about 4 minutes for everything to settle. Check your engine oil while bike is on the jiffy stand.
That is basically what I do, except I don't let it idle that long before shutting the bike off.
Tom

Quick Reply: 06 Fatboy oil level