Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailering my bike from AZ to FL on Uhaul

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailering my bike from AZ to FL on Uhaul

Does anyone have any experience trailering their motorcycle on a Uhaul or inside a moving truck? I don't want to use a motorcycle trailer because I want it to be safe from the elements plus Im going to be staying overnight and want the bike to be secured.

Im a little worried about getting the bike up the ramp and into the truck, I saw a product by Condor called the CL-1000 that looks like its a pretty good motorcycle loader:

http://www.condor-lift.com/product.asp?ItemID=1010

I just dont know if that will work with the diameter ramp that Uhaul gives, heck I dont even know if uhaul gives you a ramp.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-28-2008, 05:35 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Have trailered several times 90% of the time was because broke down.. My Utility trailer has a drop down ramp so no worries loading how ever without a ramp can load the bike by parking the trailer in a ditch making the entryway level .. Most Important is securing your bike with proper strapping and a wheel chock .. Whether Uhaul has places to secure strapping in their enclosed trailers, no idea will have to check with them..

Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 AM
rsavage
Tourer
Default trailering Uhaul

Unless Uhaul has a motorcycle specific trailer or truck, I would be leery of using it. I've trailered several thousand miles without putting a scratch on the bike. I use an enclosed trailer with a ramp door, four d ring tie downs on the floor (2 front & 2 rear), a front wheel chock, and good ratchet straps with separate loops (so no hook is on any part of the bike). Cinched down correctly, the bike doesn't move and stays clean, secure, and safe. Without the proper floor tie downs and chock, I think you stand a good chance of damaging your bike. You might want to look for a used trailer which you can resell once you are finished using it. Where I live, they seem to hold their value really well.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to find a loading ramp somewhere near you, then you can ride the bike straight into the truck. When I moved from Kansas to Florida I got the bike loaded myself. When I got to Florida I went to a dealership and they unloaded it.
I would make a wheel chock out of 2X4s that you can wedge tightly against the insides of the truck. Add a couple of tie down spots to the 2X4s, for the front of the bike. Then with a few more tie downs you should be set to go.
Tom

Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 AM
platzbros
Intermediate

I've used UHaul trailers three separate times when trailering down to Myrtle Beach Bike Week (700 mile trip each way) and have had no problems. UHaul has a specific bike trailer that you can rent. It has the notched front for the front tire...all you have to provide is the tie downs. I use 4 and have never had a problem...only thing to look out for is that UHaul requires that you demonstrate that lights/signals on trailer function when hooked up to your vehicle...if anything is not functioning as it should, they will not release the trailer from the lot. This happened to me 3 years ago...pushed my departure for Bike Week back four hours because I had to install a new light kit on my SUV b/c the first one was faulty and one of the turn signals on the trailer wouldn't work. I actually go over the the UHaul place a few days in advance now and hook up my vehicle to the particular trailer that I will be using to ensure no problems. Sometimes the issue isn't with your vehicle but exposed/old wiring of lights on trailer. Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 AM
platzbros
Intermediate

Forgot to comment on the ramp....it's a drop down and is secured by a couple of pins on a chain when you fold it back up after loading...I can load my bike by myself no problem..roll bike up, secure tie downs enough so that bike is upright then I jump off and tighten everything up...tie down loops are at each corner of trailer. Easier with two guys but I often do it alone without a problem. Just watch when rolling up ramp..when transitioning from ramp to trailer, not a lot of clearance under the bike so do it slowly the first time to ensure that nothing bottoms out.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

man.. uhaul will not rent you the trialer if you tell them it is for a bike it is also not ensured if something happens and your bike is on there...d ont know why that is just them... i woud recomend a harbor freight utility trailer! they are like 200 bucks and work great! i have been to FL on one with my uncles bike a few times no issues... where you from? i have a 3 place motorcycle trailer and a 6x8 motorcycle/ utility trailer with chucks in chicago you can use... let me know... wait... going from AZ to FL... I am an idiot your in AZ.... sorry man long day

Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

if you ride your bike up the ramp to a u haul. Do Not Stop untill you are in the truck stopping on the ramp will leave you no place to put your feet and you will fall.
Dont ask me how I know!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 AM
qwispichkn
Tourer

Wife and I are just planning a trip to the grand canyon next summer, and need a trailer. Let us know how it goes with uhal.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:38 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer

Thanks for all of the replies...I think Ill be fine once I get the bike in there although I've been told that some uhauls dont have tie downs in the floor which would be a bummer. I'm going to have to go to see the trucks for myself and see how doable this is...

Quick Reply: trailering my bike from AZ to FL on Uhaul