Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, Decisions…what bars for an FXSTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 PM
04Springer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decisions, Decisions…what bars for an FXSTS

Hopefully these types of threads aren’t a dime a dozen, but here goes. I have a 04 Springer (FX) and I want to change the bars out. But there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of choices for the Springer that seems to be different then what has already been done. So my choices and opinions are:

Apes- Don’t really care for Wild 1 apes as I think they are a little beefy for the slimmer Springer front end. What options would be out there for an ape style bar that may only be 1” and not as wide of a base (where the risers connect)?

Drag bars with integrated risers – I really liked this but lately I have thought that maybe it’s a little to new school for the look of an old school bike. Thoughts??

Drag Bars w/ stock risers – I am starting to like this look more and more. But I may like it better with a set of Wild 1 drag bars but a set of 10” risers. Any thoughts on that look? And…do standard 10” risers fit onto the Springer front end or would that be yet another Springer special item that I have come accustomed to?

The look I want is old school styling but still has the ability to make a 300 mile day comfortable.

TIA for the help and all opinions and comments are welcome

Old 10-29-2008, 12:53 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Get some streetbob stock bars which are 10" and use them if they will work with a springer. 1" diameter too. I'm sure someone has a set laying around.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember correctly, the springer has a wider handle bar clamp so the knurls have to be wider. That is possibly the reason the selection is limited. If it were me, I would go with apes or mini apes versus drag bars. Just my opinion though.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've have drag bars with the stock risers and find it very comfortable, but i have long arms.

Lately I have been looking at Apes from Paughco they have some nice ones made for the Springer. Yes the risers are spaced differently.

There is a lot out there and you can get any type of bar for a springer they just aren't as advertised and take a little more research.

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Hill Country Custom Cycles a call. They will hook you up with what you are looking for.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:24 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I was using drag bars back in the 70's. I regard them as well entrenched in the old school genre. I hope you find something that fits you well.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:13 PM
04Springer
Advanced

Skullhead...Your bike and another (all blacked out bad boy same type of bars) is what inspired me togo that route....thinking your exact bars but with a much taller riser, possibly 8-10 inches.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Rebsix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure which brand mine are, they were on the bike when I bought it. At first look I thought they were the first thing I was going to change back to stock. After a test ride, and the riding it for 5k this summer I wouldn't think of changing them, they are more comfortable than anything I've been on before, and I do really like the look.

Here's me "posin"

Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
04Springer
Advanced

^^^Thats not bad looking...

Found some pics of what I am thinking....just picture these on a springer

Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

hey bud these are wild 1 chubby T bars for springer....I love em. fit good, good reach, comfy bars. best I've had on the bike and this is my 3rd set.

Quick Reply: Decisions, Decisions…what bars for an FXSTS