Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLSTN and Auxiliary Running Light/Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 AM
K2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLSTN and Auxiliary Running Light/Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Why does the Auxiliary Running Light/Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit, according to the H-D parts book, not meet DOT standards? Is this an inspecton or safety issue? Any Deluxe owners get this modification? Thanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the kit on my Heritage but for the reason you cited I hesitated about putting it on my wife's Deluxe.
It's a DOT thing which has to do with the spacing of the rear tailights. And some states may not permit the use of red lights as rear turn signals but NJ law has no prohibitions against it.

IMO, the lighting on the back of the Deluxe is inadequate so I put them on anyway. It makes a ton of difference in visibility and that's all I care about.

If there's an issue at inspection we won't find out for 4 years in which case I'll just take the module out to get it through.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:27 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I ordered my LED, rear, turn signals and told the tech at J&P that they would be used for auxiliary brake and running lights also, he talked me into amber lenses. He said in some states it is illegal to have red turn signals. I notice a lot of member's on here have done the setup, using red turn signals. Never have read about someone getting stopped for red turn signals. Maybe the states that have yearly inspections catch it. We don't have an annual inspection in Florida.
Tom

Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 AM
jrspringer06
Tourer

I have never heard of someone getting a ticket for running them. Visibilty is key for me.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Wireline King
Intermediate

I am running them with the red lenses on my Deluxe, and I have no problems with Johnny Law, and the visibility is much better.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 AM
K2
Intermediate

Under Massachusetts Law:
"Rear turn signals shall be red or amber mounted on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and having a minimum horizontal seperation distance (measured from center of lamps) of nine inches."

But this would also apply to the stock set up ....

Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 AM
K2
Intermediate

This must be a national DOT standard but seems like it is allowed in Massachusetts based on color and distance requirements as mentioned above.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:57 PM
twomad
Intermediate

i ride with a club that had 2 bikes with that same kit and it drove everybody who rides behind them nuts because it looks like they are allways putting on the brakes, i switched bikes with 1 of them and he rode behind and agreed with us and sold the kit on ebay, probally not a problem if you ride in the back of the pack or by yourself imo

Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by twomad
i ride with a club that had 2 bikes with that same kit and it drove everybody who rides behind them nuts because it looks like they are allways putting on the brakes, i switched bikes with 1 of them and he rode behind and agreed with us and sold the kit on ebay, probally not a problem if you ride in the back of the pack or by yourself imo
If the lights are always on why would it look like someone was putting the brakes on?. The running lights are indeed bright but they get brigher when the brakes are applied.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:00 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

I have them on my deluxe, the tombstone taillight, as cool as it is, is not bright enough for me. I ride into work every morning in the dark.

I'll pay a ticket to keep them. If I ever do need an inspection, I can swap them back and forth in 5 minutes.

99% of my riding is solo so everyone behind me is the enemy anyway.

Quick Reply: FLSTN and Auxiliary Running Light/Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit