Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever happen to you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ever happen to you?

So, last night was about 70 degrees here in Oklahoma, and I thought I'd take a ride to the local hang-out, for a couple beers with some riding buddies. I stop at a light, when it turns green I take off, hit 2nd gear, and hear a loud SNAP. At this point I realize that I'm holding my clutch lever tightly against my left grip, but I'm twisting the throttle, and moving along at the same time. My freakin clutch cable snapped! The eyelet that attaches inside the clutch lever housing is still attached, but the metal cables inside the braided cable broke. I called a buddy who just happens to drive a tow truck, and he gave me and my scoot a ride home. Really sucked. Just a couple of questions- has this ever happened to anyone else? Any ideas of a cause?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:34 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, but not on a Harley. Broke the cable on my Triumph,Bonneville in Wichita,Kansas. I had to walk the bike 9 miles, to a dealership. It was around 100 degrees out, so I lost a lot of brain cells that day. I wasn't going to leave the bike sitting and there weren't any cell phones back then.
Tom

Old 10-31-2008, 04:38 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...not on a bike.

was it old? or just overadjusted? You don't really "need" the clutch on a motorcycle once you're going, it's not like a car... you can shift without it no problem...

Old 10-31-2008, 04:47 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

What I can say is BAD LUCK

Old 10-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've lost 2 clutch cables and 1 throttle cable over the years on my dirt bikes...clutch cable isn't that big a deal but the throttle cable was a "stranded" event....way out in the woods....sucked.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

beaureed445,
I have had two cables break and noticed a few fraying while checking my bike(s). This is over a lot of years and three or four bikes. Lack of lubrication on the cable and the pivot points for it on the lever, sharp edges against the cable at the lever pivot point, and just plain defective cables are the causes I have seen.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer

the eyelet broke on my clutch, (riding from houston to lafayette) had to push the bike a mile or so to a family members house. Called Cajun Harley Davidson and they fixed me up within an hour...Thanks Cajun Harley..ya'll are good people

Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best prevention is lubrication, every time you drop the oil, lube your cables.

Your bike is pretty new, I am sure the cable was defective.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Beaureed445

Good looking bike, I noticed that it's a 2007? The clutch cable on my '07 Deluxe snapped at the same location yours did. I was sitting a a light in neutral, waiting to make a left turn. When the light turned green, the cable broke when I went to shift into gear. Sounds like there may have been a bad batch of cables. (Lucky for me, there was a Hooter's in the strip center parking lot, so I had lunch and some refreshing adult beverages while I was waiting for the tow truck.)

Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

yup... on a dirtbike 17 miles from home. You can still shift without damaging anything if you do it just right. I just got it in 3rd and putted home.

clutch helps though.. lmao

Quick Reply: Ever happen to you?