Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK I have extra parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:40 AM
drkenigma1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy OK I have extra parts

Ok what is everybody doing with the "extra" parts from all your mods? I have a box of stuff like pipes, mirrors, turn signals, foot pegs, etc....

Old 11-04-2008, 03:01 AM
OOORAH
Intermediate
Default extra parts ?

Good luck--I join you with an attic full of stock parts.I've tried many different biker get-together sales and garage type sales with not much luck,unless I gave the stuff away ! Even e-bay is not very lucrative-again unless you give it away.
I have heard of,even though I have never tried it, having exchanges of these parts on forums such as this. At least the parts could go,for nominal cost, to people that share your interests and lifestyle. May even be an asset to all concerned. The very least would be to unclutter our garages and attics !
What do the rest of you think ? Good idea ? Maybe with some changes ? Bad idea ? could it really hurt ?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:13 AM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep them, they aren't worth a whole lot, but if you drop your bike, you will have a temp. replacement handy. Also, if they pass some kind of crap noise or environmental law, those stock pipes may be needed. Who knows, in 15 years they may be worth a lot more too. I know a lot of FXR owners that would kill for stock parts in good condition.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:15 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain

If you are referring to the stock take off parts, keep them. Put them back on the bike when you sell it (it could help the bike sell quicker if it is returned to stock condition), and let you recover more of the cost of the custom items by selling them seperately.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Invisible Kid
Intermediate

My $0.02....Put the parts you know you will never use for sale on this forum or ones that are similar. IMO, this forum and classified section is here to HELP members, not help fatten wallets. If you want to maximize your price, then list on eBay or Craigslist. If you want to help a member and another rider, then put them here for a "good friend price", and not just a little off list price. There are many who would like to pick up a used part from a fellow rider versus going to the local HD Stealership. There may be a day where you need a specific part, but either cant find it or dont want to pay list prices. You will be thankful that someone may list it here.

Last edited by Invisible Kid; 11-04-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 AM
vondutchga
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on keeping them and put them back on when you sell.

I for example run a set of obnoxious loud pipes, not everybody will like them, I paid top dollar for them but when I sell I will put the stock pipes back on.

same for the LED Tri-Bar tail light, or my ***** G skull fuel gauge/gas cap/handle bars etc. you really think the stealer is going to give you extra money because you paid good money for it? it would take me 15 minutes to put the stock taillight back in and the tri-bar would go on ebay.

Originally Posted by bloomington g
If you are referring to the stock take off parts, keep them. Put them back on the bike when you sell it (it could help the bike sell quicker if it is returned to stock condition), and let you recover more of the cost of the custom items by selling them seperately.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think there is one of us here on this forum that doesn't have extra parts laying around. i guess it's not a bad idea to hang on to them just in case you need a quick replacement but i sure would love to have the money instead of having them sit around in the garage.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i'm gonna start hanging all my stock parts on the garage wall, "garage art" i call it. I'm making a wood mount for my stock pipes and a/c cover (arranged like it was on the bike) and i might find a dented(left side dented) half-tank(or cheap tank, cut in half) off ebay. Stain the wood mount, alternating between black and orange or all black. Hang it in my living room!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:09 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

Something I never considered was when I sold my first sporty, an overseas buyer on a buying trip pulled up with a trailer full of bikes, he didn't even want to know if it started, all he wanted was the original exhaust so he could import it back. If I wouldn't have had them, he would have passed.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sell a lot of stuff on eBay and the rest either gets chucked or goes in a box. If it is something someone is going to want - eBay. If it is something somebody may need in the future - box. Otherwise - chuck it.

Quick Reply: OK I have extra parts