Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Deluxe handlebar saga

Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Deluxe handlebar saga

Okay guys/gals I didn't like the bars I bought to swap onto my Deluxe. So put them back on ebay to sell them off. I didnt realize they were the kind that wiring goes through the bar vs the dimples and I didnt want to go to the trouble with the wiring. So now I decided to scrap the stock bar and riser and go with a set of Heritage bars which I think look a lot better and I like where my hands end up on the classic.

So the question is the stock cables etc...will that all fit w/o having to change them? and have any of you successfully removed a freshley installed grip and re-used it with success?

Thanks for the input Chris

Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM
spikehyre
Road Master

If you are changing the riser you should be able to use the existing cables and brake line. And yes, you can use the grip again without a problem. The WO504 chubby is on mine which is designed for a heritage or a fatboy. Check sig pic.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:22 AM
cmtbasser
Tourer

I saw those in your album , very cool. I like that bike. I think the Heritage it the way to go for me. Hill Country cycles has a knock off mini ape I like too. I may get these and scrounge up a heritage mount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&it em=120306489477

Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put Heritage bars on my wife's 2007 Deluxe. I kept the stock riser and had to go two over on the brake line and two over on the throttle and idle cables. The stock clutch cable worked just fine as did the stock external wiring.

The stock throttle and idle cables would have probably worked OK but they were extremely tight.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:17 PM
cmtbasser
Tourer

Well that tells me for sure then that if I go with the stock Classic riser or even a two inch I could probably do it with no problem. With Classic bars and that big deluxe risor its proably like APEs for her. Can you post some pics OG ?

Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope these come out OK.

Attached Thumbnails My Deluxe handlebar saga-pa090001.jpg   My Deluxe handlebar saga-pa090002.jpg   My Deluxe handlebar saga-pa090003.jpg   My Deluxe handlebar saga-pa090005.jpg  
Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 PM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Default nice

looks great!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Your stock cables will NOT work. Made the same Mod on the wifes Deluxe. Had to get new cables, so we opted for the better looking braided ones.

Here is a Pic

Attached Thumbnails My Deluxe handlebar saga-dream2-007.jpg  
Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 AM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Default update

Well, I installed the mini apes last night. I love em! the throttle cables had enough slack and I had to re-route the clutch cable inside the frame which made it work just fine and it wont lay on the engine. The brake hose was a chore but I made it work by delicately re-bending the elbow bend under the fork mount and then changing the angle at the banjo fitting. The electrical lines were fine , I had to just cut the tie-wraps and get the slack then re-tie them. I did ruin my left bran new Kuryakin grip like an idiot but I will go get a new one. I will post some pics next week.

All in all I think it raised my hands 2-3 inches and got the comfy wrist angle I wanted.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Default looks good

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
Your stock cables will NOT work. Made the same Mod on the wifes Deluxe. Had to get new cables, so we opted for the better looking braided ones.

Here is a Pic
I see you kept the stock riser, I took it off and put an inch and a half on. I got the stuff at Hill Country Cycles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Deluxe handlebar saga