Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach on an FXSTC???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:52 PM
beardo
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tach on an FXSTC???

Got a customer that has an 07 Softail Custom and he wants to add a tach. The P&A catalog says there isnt a bracket that will fit on it. He would like to stick with harley stuff. Has anyone put a tach on their 07 FXSTC. I only need to hear from 07 (and up I imagine) Softail Custom owners please.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM
OOORAH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '07 FXSTC and the classiest way to add a tach is use of the H.D. Speedo and tach combo-it bolts right on and looks "factory", no tach hanging between the handlebars. A little expensive--but what isn't ?
It also allows for selection of instrumentation styles ! Hope that helps ..............

Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been down that searching road a couple of times at two different dealers and with a custom the Speedo/tach combo is your only option through Harley. Have to do something after-market I guess.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked out Dakota Digital. I just installed a speedo/tach combo
on my Deuce and I'm loving it. Besides having the speedo/tach, it has a hole
bunch of extra features. One I like is that it shows me which gear I'm in along
with clock, adjustable rev line warning etc....
All this and more for the same price as the HD dial speedo/tach. Almost forgot,
it was plug and play. Check out there web site. Just for the heck of it.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by beardo
Got a customer that has an 07 Softail Custom and he wants to add a tach. The P&A catalog says there isnt a bracket that will fit on it. He would like to stick with harley stuff. Has anyone put a tach on their 07 FXSTC. I only need to hear from 07 (and up I imagine) Softail Custom owners please.

Harley has several speedo/tach combos. I put one on my 07 Heritage. I plan on putting oil pressure and oil temp on the bars.

I put the 74676-07 on. It has the ability to change the color of the gauge to over 600 color schemes.

I bought two at the local tent sale if your interested. They are in the for sale section.

Last edited by wlbowers; 11-06-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:25 AM
beardo
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The Heritage is a different set-up. I did ask him if he wanted to go the 2-into-1 route, but he had already said he didnt. He also didnt want to go with Dakota. I was hoping to have run into someone that used Harley product and 'made it work' with hacking the **** out of anything. Thanks for the replies. Back to the drawing board...

Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You can put a seperate tach on a Custom, but it does requre a little bit of research in the parts catalog.
There are two ways to go. The first question is if the guy wants to keep the stock handlebars or not. If he does, your going to have to find a tach mounting bracket that fits and can replace the top clamps of the risers. There are a couple that will fit. But I didn't go that route so I'm sorry I can't help you out with the correct part numbers.
The other is to replace the handlebars with what HD calles their Bombay bars w/integrated tach housing PN=55835-05A.
For some odd reason its not descrided in any of the new catalogs and is only listed on the size charts. But you can get them if your willing to pay the price, about $330.00 from the dealer.
Here's a side view of it on my 07 Custom.

One from behind (in the garage).

Front quarter

Hope that helps you out.

Ride safe.