Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2004 Softail Standard

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:51 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Looking at a 2004 Softail Standard

Some background info - Got rear-ended on my '05 Sporty Custom about 2 weeks ago, the insurance company decided to total it out so I'm in the market for a new ride....

I found a couple of Dyna Street Bobs in a local ad mag. The bike I test rode is an '06 Street Bob with Samson BG3 pipes, a Stage one with power commander and forward controls. It has 2200 miles on it and has never been laid down.

I took the bike for a 20 mile test ride Tuesday night. Nice ride, but I think the price is a little steep ($10500) considering a new SB is only around $13k

Another '06 SB was advertised as well. This bike has been laid down at about 25 mph doing damage to a peg, forks, gas tank, pipes, etc. The owner has replaced the tank himself, but hasn't finished the other repairs. He wants $9500. He also hasn't sent me any photos after a week and 2 phone calls. Scratch that one off the list.

Back to the paper and I come across an ad for a Softail Standard. Called about it today.

The bike is a Black '04 Softail Standard with the 1450 engine and a 5 speed. It has 17k miles on it. The pipes are Rhineharts, with a SE a/c. He also installed Carlini fat T bars and a Lepera seat. the rear has been lowered around 2" also. He has a rigid mount backrest that he would include.

The owner said he bought the bike new in '04 and took it to Sturgis that year. Most of the miles have been on the highway and he's maintained the bike himself. He has a bagger also and since his wife's surgery he needs to let one of the bikes go. He's asking for $10k, but I think he may go lower. The bike is 5 years old, has the smaller 88" engine and a 5 speed vs the 96" and 6 speeds. The KBB on the bike is about $ 11350. I think the $10k is a fair price and he'll work with me on the taxes - I will have nearly half in cash.

So my question basically is -- what do you think of this deal???

Last edited by gilmour68; 11-07-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds fair or me. I like my Standard, and think you will as well.
Mine is the 1450cc with 5 speed, no issues.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM
wingnutt
Road Master

+1 I am very happy with my 06 Standard. Sounds like a decent deal to me.

Hope it works out for ya!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

I took the Softail for a ride this afternoon --

I was surprised at how 'crowded' the bike felt. The forwards could be extended for a more comfortable ride. The Dyna Street Bob I rode earlier in the week seemed to have more leg room.

I like the sound of the Rineharts, but they do pop a lot, especially after shifting. Is this normal?

I like the look and feel of the Carlini T bars. Contrary to what the dealer said, the bike isn't uncomfortable like he said it would be with the drag bars and lowered rear suspension.

I'm still not a huge fan of the silver powder coated engine. It's not bad looking, but I prefer the black/chrome engine like I had on the XL1200C.

The LePera seat had great lumbar support, but wasn't all that soft. I think the Sundowner is a bit more comfortable.

The seller has a sissy bar and windshield that would go with the bike, as well as the stock seat.

Shortly after leaving, I received a call from the seller's wife saying she received another call about the bike and wanted to know if I wanted the first shot at it. I told her I was interested but had to think about it a bit since I'm still looking around. A dealer I visited Thursday said he may receive an '06 Dyna Super Glide in trade shortly and the price would be under $9k. I want to check with him before I make a decision on the Softail.

Though the Softail is (I believe) a good deal, I'd prefer something a little newer, with a little less mileage. If I decide on the Softail, I'll make an offer of $8500 - 9000 and see what he says. If her doesn't accept, I'll keep shopping. As the weather gets colder, there likely will be more options available. Really it's a buyer's market and if I have some patience I'm sure I'll find a good deal.

I'm a bit limited by what I want to spend since I don't want to be any worse off (any more debt) than I was before my accident which means I don't want to spend more than about $10k.

That being said, I've pretty much narrowed my search to a few models - Dyna Super Glide Custom, Street Bob, Wide Glide and Softail Std and Custom. I want something with a mid or wide front end and I'm not a fan of the eyebrow headlight mount on the Super Glide standard and similar models. I definitely would like to avoid any handlebar mounted speedo, tach etc since prefer the cleaner look.

The quest continues....

Old 11-09-2008, 09:55 PM
SuperUnknown
Banned

My only words of advise...quit listening to the dealer...my '06 Standard has 501 drags, is lowered 2", and I did install 3" forwards (I'm 6'3" tall...36" inseam)...I've ridden 500+ mile days with no problems.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:06 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Default Softail Springer

Ad said "2004 fxsts, has only 8000 miles, I bought it new, has vance and hines pipes, and was jetted to match, and higher then stock handle bars,(still have all original parts as well), and they were dealer instaled items, it has harley saddle bags, and an aftermarket harley seat and sissy bar, and quite a few other ad ons as well."

I believe the price is reasonable...

Emailed for a few additional photos, haven't received any yet. The bike has been dealer serviced and isn't too far from me.

Attached Thumbnails Looking at a 2004 Softail Standard-springer.jpg  

Last edited by gilmour68; 11-15-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:48 PM
softail04
Road Master

love my 04 std and have 43 thou. miles on it did do the gear drive cams.. have done many 500 plus days and dever a complaint did have to go to a mustang pillow seat for the wife but can still put on my danny grey for myself.
I have the apes and a windshield and get mid to high 40's and can run well over 105 when I want usually 75/90
I to would like a little more room on the pegs and have been looking at 3 inch extensions but for my money a lot more bike than any dyna....

Attached Thumbnails Looking at a 2004 Softail Standard-vvccxx.jpg  
Old 11-15-2008, 04:36 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This bike at $10k is a very good deal for you. But I'm partial to my '04 Standard. As far as the 88" engine and 5-spd are concerned, unless you do a great amount of highway miles, you'll be just fine. I do wish that I had an overdrive transmission but then only when I'm on the expressway. At 70 mph, your engine will run about 3000 rpm. Go for it and enjoy the ride.

Glad to know too that you weren't hurt when you got rear-ended.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an 03FXST. regarding the "cramped feeling" I'm 6'3" 230 put touring bars on. Arlen Ness 3" fwd controls and have done several Saddle Sores. Seats and bars make the biggest difference. I have upgraded/changed almost everything engine/trans/shocks/forks wheels/ brakes. The FXST is the "blank canvas" you have many options for how want to go with the design. My album show a pic of mine (I put a fixed fairing on it with hard bags and tour pack).

I sugggest prior to thinking if the 04 is a good deal make sure the bike you want is a ST or Dyna.