Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WoW, what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Softcat07
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking WoW, what a difference!

I hit 5k so thought that I would go with Amsoil at the oil change from what I had read and heard around from various stealers talking with other riders. Wow what a big difference it made. It seems to run a hell of a lot smoother with more a lot more response. It was hard to tell about her running cooler being that it was only abot 60 deg when I took her out.

I was still been running the SE stage 1 filter so also I changed that to a K&N along with a K&N oil filter. I can hear her sucking air now, where before I could not with the factory paper filter. Maybe it is just me but she really seems to run a lot better. I know I am going to change over all fluids with Amsoil for the baby soon! I DO Not represent Amsoil, but I would consider it. $

Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Amsoil is the heat. Also check out the Scavenger on the Rogue Chopper website. I run Amsoil and my temps this summer were 200-210.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

With all due respect, I cant believe that a simple oil change will make it run smoother, faster, etc, etc. Cooler and MAYBE quieter I can see.
Its just oil.
If it works for you and you like it, thats great.
I use what works for me. No brand names. JMHO
MikeM

Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
With all due respect, I cant believe that a simple oil change will make it run smoother, faster, etc, etc. Cooler and MAYBE quieter I can see.
Its just oil.
What he said...

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the real reason its running better has more to do with what your hearing and the new K&N filters less restrictive effects on the intake than the oil.
Not saying the oil's not a good thing, Amsoil and other synthetics are great for lubrication and cooling. But for noticeable performance increases its the intake that's going to give you the most bang for your buck. Provided you make allowances for increased air intake with the fuel management system.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to Amsoil at 1k and noticed an increase in mpg by about 2-3 around town. I put it in all three holes. Can't say I noticed any other differences with it.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:24 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I run regular oil and the temp gauge stays around 195. I did see 200 in Fla.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:41 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when i switched i had 1000 miles and it does make a big improvement. my temp dropped from 260 in the summer to 240. The engine ran smoother, the noise from the counter balance was quieter. I did not use amsol in the trans. I used bel rey gear saver and it made the trans easyer to find neutral and the 5th gear wine was less. later i did a stage 1 with dynotune and the temp dropped to 200-220. Mobil one has a new 4 stroke MC oil I am going to try next time because amsol has gone to $15 a quart and mobil one is $9

Old 11-06-2008, 11:07 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its just oil.
MikeM
If you switch from regular oil to synthetic oil, if anything it will be noisier. Regular oil stays thicker and that helps muffle some of the engine noise.
As long as you are using the proper weight oil, there should be no difference in performance. Doesn't matter if it is dyno or synthetic. Many years ago, you could tell a difference, but with the newer dyno oils you wont be able to tell. The advantage to using any quality proper weight synthetic oil is the longer life and consistent lubrication at extreme higher and lower temperatures.
Tom

Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just oil.
MikeM
Ditto that. Irrational exhuberance...

Quick Reply: WoW, what a difference!