Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker paint question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Rocker paint question

Ok, i want to replace my front fender but the dealership told me that they wouldn't be able to match the flame job that Harley put on the rocker and the paint might not be a 100% match because Harley's clear coat is powder coated on the bike.

If this is the case then how did you guys that got the Heartland kit get the flames and the paint on your replacement fenders to match????

Old 11-08-2008, 06:21 AM
HotRoc54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having custom paint on my tins so won't be matching up the flames.
But I would like to know what type, or kind of fender your thinking of putting on.
I have not been able to find very much out there for front fender swaps other than one Heartland has.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

well. here is the story. the dealership chipped my rear fender and they offered to buy me a new one. i came up with the idea to save them some money by me keeping my fender (that they chipped) and instead of them having to buy a new one ($800-$900) they would chop my rear fender for me. Here is the cut i want to make to it, It's the first fender from the left (Athena).

As far as my front fender, i'm gonna go with a Paul Yaffe original "wild" front fender.

that's where my problem with matching the blue pearl paint on my rocker and the flames on the tank comes in.

they told me that they wouldn't be able to do an exact color match. Makes no sense to me that a Harley dealership wouldn't be able to match the paint on a current production bike.

Attached Thumbnails Rocker paint question-big-bear-fender.jpg   Rocker paint question-cat-sheet-ffender-wild.jpg  

Last edited by Alain; 11-08-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

If you are replacing both the front and rear fenders, why not just have the tank painted too? I know it's added expense, but if you're doing the rest, why not do the tank too? Then you'll have a one of a kind and won't have to worry about paint match. Maybe even go with a different tank, sell yours on ebay along with the fenders as a set. Maybe a tank like this one:

Attached Thumbnails Rocker paint question-rocker_08_lace.jpg  
Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 PM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Jerry L,... whose oiltank is that on that pciture?

Very different Rocker!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by j33ptj
Jerry L,... whose oiltank is that on that pciture?

Very different Rocker!
i think that rocker is photoshopped.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Yep, that Rocker was photoshopped by I think PhantomMaxx. I just thought he did a great job on the bikes and especially the tanks. He added a curve under the tank that just seemed right. Oil tank was smoothed, I believe. I liked the pics he did so well I saved them.
Jerry

Old 11-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

that tank doesn't look half bad on there though. There has to be a way to match this paint job Harley did on the rocker

Old 11-08-2008, 10:00 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think there blowin smoke
on a side note i would'nt let them attempt any modifications
on yer scoot especially after they dinged the fender
take the cash and go else where dude,or take suggestion
and get a totally modded gas tank like that photoshopped 1
you seem to find high dollar items all the time good luck

Old 11-09-2008, 07:42 AM
07FXSTC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alain
well. here is the story. the dealership chipped my rear fender and they offered to buy me a new one. i came up with the idea to save them some money by me keeping my fender (that they chipped) and instead of them having to buy a new one ($800-$900) they would chop my rear fender for me. Here is the cut i want to make to it, It's the first fender from the left (Athena).

As far as my front fender, i'm gonna go with a Paul Yaffe original "wild" front fender.

that's where my problem with matching the blue pearl paint on my rocker and the flames on the tank comes in.

they told me that they wouldn't be able to do an exact color match. Makes no sense to me that a Harley dealership wouldn't be able to match the paint on a current production bike.
Not that you asked, but you do realize those fenders are pretty much non-functional. i.e. dont ride in rain no more.... that being said, it will look wild...I'm a full fender guy BTW...bigger = better but thats why they make chocolate and vanilla

Quick Reply: Rocker paint question