Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie to HD with many questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:17 PM
bottleofrye
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie to HD with many questions

hello fellas ,

I have a 90 softail & am planning to do some real work to it this winter . I had bought this weapon about 2 months ago & have her beside me in my basement . The feller that owned this bike had some real plans for it , i inherited all the parts he had acquired but never installed ie S/E karb , fenders , bags , handle bars .

It looks like a fat boy rear wheel w/ a 160/70/b17 tire on it , the tire will fit into the swing arm & wheel bolts up no problem ......My problem is " i need to index that drive sprocket over a bit " . There is enough room for everything ( so it looks ) but i also have to shim "Driven" sprocket out to have a good alignment .

Is thier a kit to move that drive sprocket out ? If so , what is the name of that kit & where do i fines shims for the driven sprocket ?

My motor & trans are being removed this winter & am planning on painting the motor ( not polishing ) black . Is there a particular type of bbq paint to use ? Powder coating is not in my budget but i have heard bbq paint is the way to go .

The primary cases have a nasty finish to em , I plan on replacing the inners & the outers . I have found that there is alot out there interms of aftermarket parts . Anything to stay away from ?

My softail has its original pipes & I am gunning for a new set . I kinda have my eye on particular style " Jesse James hell-bent " ? Is there any other names for this style , or a am I stuck searching manuf's ?

In closing , I met this feller ( diff. feller ) that had a night train . He has these little thing’es ( technical term ) on the tops of the heads that collected oil . They looked cool & I want a pair . What are they called & what is there purpose ?

Thank you