Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do dogs really hate Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Angry Do dogs really hate Harley?

This is the second time I got attacked no kidding, I put my bike in storage a few days ago, gave her a wash this evening, rode around my house just to dry the bike. A dog ran out from nowhere, I was going at around 10mph, she hit my right front wheel and ran away. Yes, it was quite a hit, her owner looked at me but didn't say anything, I think he felt bad. Well I kept going for a bit and parked my bike, found blood on the right side of the front wheel. I didn't have a choice, if I slammed the brakes, pretty sure I drop my bike. Damn, have you ever had experience with dogs? It was a nightmare.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

nothing you could have done bro. i get barked at alot when i ride, luckily no dogs have attacked me or chased me yet. just be glad you didn't drop the bike and you didn't get hurt. i would have yelled at the pet owner for not having the dog on a leash.

what kind of dog was it anyway? was it big?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 PM
hardhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a chuihuawa chased me once. I slowed down real good, let it catch up, then I blipped the pipes. He jumped back so fast I couldn't help but laugh out loud! I'm so lame....

Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 PM
SikRyd
Tourer

You carrying taco bell in your pocket or something? Never happened to me. In fact, my dogs LOVE Harley's and know when I am a few blocks from the house by the sound. Of course they can tell it from other bikes, so they only get excited when they hear mine.
Glad to hear you or the dog wasn't hurt (that bad for dog).

Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only been chased once....used what I had been taught: slow down, wait, then gun it....dog misses you behind.....worked perfectly.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

I have been bit by a dog 2 x on bikes one time the dog latched on to me and didn’t let go until about 30-40m.p.h I guess the friction got to him or the pipes hurt to bad. I had to ride straight to the hospital. Shame on the owner for no leash, dogs have a natural chase instinct that’s how you tech them to come. They love to chase bikes you are lucky he has bad aim it could have been your leg not your wheel. I have not taken the rider course but every one I know tells me they teach you to slow down when a dog approaches and then speed up. I have not had to try it yet good luck. RUF, RUF

Old 11-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
I've only been chased once....used what I had been taught: slow down, wait, then gun it....dog misses you behind.....worked perfectly.
yep... that's one thing they teach you in a MSF class... another is how to stop the bike quickly with out dropping it....

Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 AM
RBurn
Intermediate
Location: Northern Calif.. No not SF... I mean Northern Calif!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is true, riding home to my home i was going about 25mph and I saw a squirrel come down off the hill and I thought like i do in my car, I just keep going, well he hit my right side and proceeded to right on my pant leg for like 20 feet and I kept kickin my leg out and he fell off. No bites etc.. but it's kinda funny if you think about it.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my buddies dogs are fine with bikes, but they grew up around them. Now my neighbor, his two little dogs, hate the bike, constantly barking and I know they would chase or come after me if they were not on a leash...

I asked some dog peoples (lol)..and they said that the rumble and loudness for the dogs feels like they are threatened, and the answer is to bark away the fear like they normally do when upset or startled..like protecting the owner and your dog gets aggressive, that is what happens when dogs are not used to motorcycles.

Not sure if I believe it, but sounds good to me, otherwise, who the heck knows why.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are OK. I have never hit one on the Harley, but did t-bone a sheperd while racing an enduro. Man was that a ride. Both of us ended up walking away, thank goodness.

Quick Reply: Do dogs really hate Harley?