Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just drilled my stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
learfxr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just drilled my stock exhaust

I did some reading about drilling the stock mufflers and decided I was going to try it. I was planning to buy some Vance and Hines Big Shots soon anyway, so if I hated it I was ok.

I have a few odd drill bits since I am an aircraft mechanic and have done some odd structural mods on biz jets before. I used a 12" #30 drill bit to drill pilot holes in the round baffle plate inside the muffler. Then I used a long 1/4" bit to punch all the holes out larger. Then I used the round handle of a big breaker bar to knock out what was left of the plate. Yes, there are nicer ways to do it if you want to drive to the store and buy bits, but I used what was in my shop. It looks kinda ugly up in there with the jagged edges, but who gets on thier knees and looks up the pipes?

I like the sound so far. I just took it up the street about 2 blocks and came back home. Just had my reg glasses on and my eyes were watering something crazy. I didn't notice any decel popping during my short trip, so that's a good sign.

If you don't have cash for pipes and want some more sound, let the redneck come out in you and drill that sucker.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations!!
not many would attempt the mod....
and I'm sure that some will criticize...
but why waste a lot of money on a set of pipes if you just want to be heard!!

Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 PM
F117ewo
Cruiser

I hope you're happy with the result. I drilled the baffles on my SE-II slip-ons. It helped some.... At least I could take the baffles out to use my drill press.

I just hope you didn't lose too much mid-range power with your mod.

Jake

Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I did that before I changed the pipes on my bike and figured out a way to get rid of the ugly edges. Mine were even uglier as I used a hammer and a big screwdriver to chop out the plate.
I posted the "fix" in a DIY thread here, but it seems to have vanished, gotta look into that later. But I also posted it in the Dyna section in Muddpuddle's "How To" thread here;

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...15#post2545715

See if it helps with yours.

I found it and put it back up at the top. Check it out if your looking for ideas done on the cheap.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 11-11-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:46 PM
learfxr
Tourer

Thanks guys

I took my wife into town for lunch yesterday. It had good power pulling through the gears. I'm not looking for power gains, just don't want to loose any either. It has almost enough volume of sound for me. I still want vance and hines pipes later this winter. I always down shift at lights and didn't get any decel popping yesterday.

I'm very happy with it. It will buy me some time til I get the pipes. I was hating the stock sound, or lack there of.