Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker tank lift w/ Danny Gray seat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:42 PM
davidbrinknyc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker tank lift w/ Danny Gray seat?

Hi,

I was thinking about doing a tank lift on my Rocker now that I've put a Danny Gray seat on it. Has anyone done this? Would you recommend the 2 or 3" lift. If you have pictures that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a two inch lift home made looks good.. IMO a three would be to much..

Here is not so good of a pic.. it was intended to show the lights.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:57 PM
davidbrinknyc
2nd Gear

Joe, thanks for the reply. Does the 2" lift put the tank inline with the seat?

Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it does.. u can tell the difference.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

here is my bike with a 2 inch tank lift and the trick seat. notice how much better it looks. the danny gray seat is lower then the trick seat so i would think it would look even better.

i tried doing the 3 inch tank lift but the wires for the speedo seemed like they wouldn't reach (there is not enough slack in them to cover the 3 inches). so you might have to re-wire your speedometer....(not worth it)

2 inches is just fine.

Attached Thumbnails Rocker tank lift w/ Danny Gray seat?-new-set-up-2.jpg  
Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 AM
RockinA
Advanced

I did a 2" and had the option of doing the 3" with the $25 kit I bought on eBay, but would have had issues with wiring, etc. I cut off the 2nd hole on the brackets, painted with paint the body shop had leftover from the fender smoothing and whalah...

Subtle, but really makes a HUGE difference when paired with the DG seat (which I just installed recently). Lines up the tank with the frame nicely.

I'll take pics tonight if it's not raining out as I've been wanting to do a mini photoshoot.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinA
I did a 2" and had the option of doing the 3" with the $25 kit I bought on eBay, but would have had issues with wiring, etc. I cut off the 2nd hole on the brackets, painted with paint the body shop had leftover from the fender smoothing and whalah...

Subtle, but really makes a HUGE difference when paired with the DG seat (which I just installed recently). Lines up the tank with the frame nicely.

I'll take pics tonight if it's not raining out as I've been wanting to do a mini photoshoot.
i'm dying to see what a 2 inch tank lift along with the danny gray seat looks like.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:00 PM
ThunderRock63
Cruiser

I was wondering what the tank lift did as far as the gas gauge? yes I know its useless anyways. Also did it change the way it reads miles till empty. I want to do a lift when I move my signals so I am just looking at all the things that might be different

Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ken08fxcwc
I was wondering what the tank lift did as far as the gas gauge? yes I know its useless anyways. Also did it change the way it reads miles till empty. I want to do a lift when I move my signals so I am just looking at all the things that might be different
There doesn't seem to be any negative side effects of my 2" tank lift on my rocker. I was concerned if it would affect the mileage to empty and I believe it is just as accurate as it was before the lift.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Turbo3pt3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Guage

It does effect the "miles to empty" reading. My first ride after the lift, I fouund myself in some pretty desolate territory when the warning lite came on. I rode several miles in a state of panic wondering how far I would have to walk to find gas. I made it to a station about 5 miles after I read 0 miles to empty and put just barely over 4 gallons in a five gallon tank. The way I see it now is that I just have a larger safty zone.

Quick Reply: Rocker tank lift w/ Danny Gray seat?