Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas on how to remove stubborn baffle from big radius pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
rubiconMike
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas on how to remove stubborn baffle from big radius pipes?

I bought the BCT baffles for my big radius pipes and attempted the install last night.

Problem was the first baffle came out with no issues but the second one would not budge at all. Even after applying PB Blaster and letting it set for some time.

I also removed the button screw that holds the baffle in the pipe and threaded it back in from the inside of the baffle so that I would have something to grab on to using vice grips but still couldn't budge it.

I also got a cloths hanger and bent it so that I could run it up into the pipe and when I would pull back on the cloths hanger it would catch on the button bolt sticking out of the baffle and that wouldn't budge it either.

Any other ideas on what to do?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:54 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rubiconMike
I bought the BCT baffles for my big radius pipes and attempted the install last night.

Problem was the first baffle came out with no issues but the second one would not budge at all. Even after applying PB Blaster and letting it set for some time.

I also removed the button screw that holds the baffle in the pipe and threaded it back in from the inside of the baffle so that I would have something to grab on to using vice grips but still couldn't budge it.

I also got a cloths hanger and bent it so that I could run it up into the pipe and when I would pull back on the cloths hanger it would catch on the button bolt sticking out of the baffle and that wouldn't budge it either.

Any other ideas on what to do?
Use the clotheshanger wire on the bolt like you did, but wrap the other end around an old piece of 2x4 and hammer the 2x4 to slide it out. Like a ghetto slide hammer.........it worked for me.

The following users liked this post:
PaulG75 (06-10-2021)
Old 11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mojojones
Use the clotheshanger wire on the bolt like you did, but wrap the other end around an old piece of 2x4 and hammer the 2x4 to slide it out. Like a ghetto slide hammer.........it worked for me.
Did you do that with the pipe still installed on the bike? If not, how did you keep the pipe from moving while you were banging on the 2x4? Vice?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rubiconMike
Did you do that with the pipe still installed on the bike? If not, how did you keep the pipe from moving while you were banging on the 2x4? Vice?

Thanks for the help!
Mine was still on the bike

Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what your talking about. Was it the top pipe? I sprayed the **** out of it with wd-40 and let it sit then started the bike to heat it up. Took a good hr to get it out with a metal hanger that was split like a Y and I made hooks on the ends. Gave the hanger to a friend for the same thing and his came right out no problem. Go figure!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:17 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by red devil
I know what your talking about. Was it the top pipe? I sprayed the **** out of it with wd-40 and let it sit then started the bike to heat it up. Took a good hr to get it out with a metal hanger that was split like a Y and I made hooks on the ends. Gave the hanger to a friend for the same thing and his came right out no problem. Go figure!
Yes, it's the top pipe. I messed with it for at least an hour and a half last night and didn't budge it any, not even a 1/64th of an inch. That sucker is stuck in there. I called V&H this morning and talked to a tech to ensure there was nothing up in there hold that one for some reason. He said no, it's just hard to get out because of the bend in the pipe.

I guess I will try again tonight using a ton of wd-40 this time and the "ghetto slide hammer" idea mojojones gave me.

Any issues with spraying a ton of wd-40 in there and then starting the bike getting the pipes hot? Seems like a good way to start a fire, no?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

I didn't use any wd40.......just the ghetto slide hammer.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

had the same problem. it will come out. here is what i did. put a 1" bolt back into threads from baffles on the inside. heated pipes up. sprayed with wd40. used a 1 1/2" box end wrench banged back and forth pulling. then attached vice grips to handle on box wrench at 90 degree angle and beat out with a mallet. it took me about 20 minutes once i got the set up. hope this helps.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 PM
20NightTrain03
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i used a slide hammer and a pilot bearing puller

Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

wow, seems like you guys had a good fight on your hands.. i was rather lucky, i only struglled with one and all i did was sprayed it down with WD40 and pull on it with needle nose pliers and twisted as much as possible.. Good luck if that dont work try some hooker pipes..

Quick Reply: Ideas on how to remove stubborn baffle from big radius pipes?