Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail oil lines

Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softail oil lines

Is there any GOOD reason why the Twin Cam motor has two oil lines at the top of the tank verses the Evo with all three at the bottom. I just can't get past how ugly those two lines look. I realize the one is vent and the other return....but it shouldn't matter as far as I can see.

jim

Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 PM
qwispichkn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It serves no purpose other than to force you to purchase more HD aftermarket chrome accessories to cover up those ugly lines.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:26 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One is a return line, the other is a vent line.
Ron

Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 PM
rolloffhill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qwispichkn
It serves no purpose other than to force you to purchase more HD aftermarket chrome accessories to cover up those ugly lines.
Huh???

Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, is there any reason your avatar is missing two oil lines...I mean buttons...

Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by mulch63
Is there any GOOD reason why the Twin Cam motor has two oil lines at the top of the tank verses the Evo with all three at the bottom. I just can't get past how ugly those two lines look. I realize the one is vent and the other return....but it shouldn't matter as far as I can see.

jim
It's cosmetic. The original rigid frame oil tanks had the return & vent lines at the top. Since the whole purpose of a Sloptail is to look like a rigid frame scooter, this set-up is more "nostalgic".

Personally, being an ol' fart, I like the looks of the TC tank better than the Evo tank. It's more in keeping with the theme of the bike.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,001 Likes on 515 Posts

Agree...it looks more original. IMHO, the oil lines on the Softail look great. I would never cover them up...its part of the mechanical beauty and charm.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strange...... all the lines on my '06 are at the bottom of the tank.....

Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 AM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pococj
It's cosmetic. The original rigid frame oil tanks had the return & vent lines at the top. Since the whole purpose of a Sloptail is to look like a rigid frame scooter, this set-up is more "nostalgic".

Personally, being an ol' fart, I like the looks of the TC tank better than the Evo tank. It's more in keeping with the theme of the bike.
I see, however I need to disagree slightly. I don't feel the bike has a true "nostalgic" look. Especially with the 200mm tire or the fender. Anyway, I think they looked better coming out the bottom. A bit cleaner look. Plus my wife's Evo Softail is easier to drain the return oil after I change the oil. I have stainless lines with cover clamps. The newer bikes have those plastic clips with o-rings and they can be a bit of a pain. Just my 2 cents.

Too big of a hassle and expense to try to find a tank and change.

jim

Old 11-13-2008, 08:13 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if they actually thought about it as such. But putting the return line at the top makes good engineering sense.
With that line on top it puts hot oil on top where it gets at least 'some' (not much, but some) time to cool in the tank before its picked up again for another trip through the engine. Its also a cheap and easy way to prevent oil from "leaking" back down into the crankcase through it without the need for a check valve.
Besides if you don't like it there's no reason you can't pull the tank and have the return line fitting moved. Just remember that your going to have to add a check valve to stop the oil "leaking" back into the engine case.

You really can't do anything with the vent line. It really needs to be left up on top above the oil level. Any kind of restriction in it, like a check valve or having it "under water", so to speak, is probably not a good idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Softail oil lines