Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Season's Over, do I.......?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Bender
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Season's Over, do I.......?

Well the weather is miserable and I want to put the bike away for winter. This is my first bike and I want to do it right. I have added fuel stabalizer to the tank, ran the motor for 5 min. and connected a battery trickle charger, now what?

1) Do I remove the plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinders, crank the motor, replace the plugs?
2) Do I jack up the bike to take pressure off of the tires?
3) Do I start planning for winter mods?

Thx for all your help, in advance.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:46 AM
HighriderUSA
Cruiser

Are you in So Cal ?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Bender
Intermediate

No Vancouver, Canada

Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Info from dreamcycles.net
WINTERIZING YOUR BIKE

For Canadian motorcyclists autumn marks the end of the riding season and a time of completing a crucial step in the maintenance for your motorycle-Winterizing! The following are simple guidelines to assist you in accomplishing this task to assure that next spring you are back on the road with no problem.

First of all give your bike its last thorough wash of the season. Use lots of soap and water since removing any bugs and road grime will protect the bike’s finish both paint and chrome. After carefully drying your motorcycle finish up with a good wax polish on all surfaces. Clean your chain if your bike has one and lube the chain.

Add a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank then fill your tank with as much gas as it can hold. The fuel stabilizer will prevent the gas from aging and leaving sludge and residue in your carburetor or injectors. By filling your gas tank to the top the possibility of water condensing in your tank is reduced. Run your bike so that the stabilized gas reaches your carburetors or fuel injectors.

If your bike uses a carburetor shut off the gas petcock and drain the gas from the carburetor bowls. Your manual will show the location of the drain screws. If your bike is fuel-injected this step does not apply.
Change the oil and filter as you do not want old oil with impurities sitting in your bike over the winter.

Remove the spark plug wires and with a spark plug wrench carefully remove the spark plugs. Add approximately one teaspoon of motor oil down the spark plug holes. Turn the engine over several revolutions with the starter motor in order to spread this oil over the cylinders and rings. Replace the spark plugs and plug wires. This step is mainly for cold storage.

Remove your bike’s battery and store inside where it is warm. You may wish to purchase and use a “Battery Tender” type of charger in order to maintain your battery and prevent sulfates building up on the battery plates. This can save you the cost of a new battery in the spring.

If your bike is liquid cooled now is the time to check the anti-freeze level and replace if necessary. At the same time check any and all other fluid levels.

Give your bike a good look over. Check your brake pads, air filter and fuel filters. Lubricate cables, drive shaft if you have one and any other pivot points.

Inflate your tires to their recommended levels and cover your exhaust pipe openings with plastic wrap and rubber bands to prevent mice from making a home.

These simple steps will protect your motorcyle over the winter months and ensure that next spring you will be ready to hit the road. Have a great winter!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:22 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just put on my leather jacket and stuff...

Sorry... had to post that....

Charlie D.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 AM
17L1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3) Do I start planning for winter mods?

I vote for #3.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let the planning for winter mods begin!!!!!!!

last winter, put fuel stabilizer in....put batter on tender..cleaned and stored the bike...Once every few weeks, checked on her, wiped her down. (She is in my garage where we do some woodwork once in awhile, with a Cover of course). She then gets stored on a jack for the winter..

Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 AM
harley_nova
Tourer

This is also my first Harley so I am in the same boat. Living here in Novs Scotia, we get some harsh winters.
Thanks a lot for that post 128Auto. Very helpful.

Ryan

Old 11-13-2008, 10:27 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I used to winterize every bike I've owned but last year I just put seafoam in the gas tank, hooked up my battery tender and call fair. I park it in my garage all winter, it isn't too bad.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 AM
harley_nova
Tourer

Where could a guy get this seafoam?

Quick Reply: Riding Season's Over, do I.......?