Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy instead of Rocker ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:16 PM
aebeid2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy instead of Rocker ??

Guys, I just got a slipped Disc and probably wont be able to ride my Rocker again.
Was thinking to buy a Fat Boy instead. Is it more comfortable ? Need opinions please.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:18 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You need to forget the Fatboy and start looking at Touring models, IMO.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
mjmangus
Tourer

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
You need to forget the Fatboy and start looking at Touring models, IMO.
I agree. With one of the touring models you can have a driver's backrest installed.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:36 PM
srandall25
Novice

Originally Posted by mjmangus
I agree. With one of the touring models you can have a driver's backrest installed.
Well, you can always get an aftermarket backrest installed on a Fatboy as well, but at least a touring scoot like the Road King would provide you the rubber mounted engine with better suspension and smoother ride than you would get with a stock Fatboy. I own a Fatboy and absolutely love it, but if I had a back problem like that, I'd probably be leaning toward a Road King.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 PM
aebeid2000
Cruiser

The Road King is a very big bike for me. I'm kind of small and the Rocker is already big for me !! That's why I had the Fat Boy into consideration. May be with some adjustments it could be smoother and comfortable. What do u think ?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

I ride a Fat Boy and it rides pretty well, I think. However, with back problems you're main obstacle is going to be your riding position. A Fat Boy with some pull back risers and a good seat will probably work pretty well for you. That being said, you could probably make some mods to your Rocker to get into a better riding position. Unless you absolutely think that you won't be able to stand the Rocker any more, I'd look into that before I'd look into changing bikes.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:32 PM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you rent one and try it out first. The FatBoy is a good bike and has a low center of gravity, but is still not the most comfortable. It is easy to handle, I'm 5'7" and weigh 160. I don't have any problems with it, but then I don't have a bad back. If you just ride locally, then it might be a good pick for you. If you plan on long rides then maybe not.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:13 PM
learfxr
Tourer

The newer Fat Boys have a very smooth running engine, I'm not polished up on Harley facts just yet, but I believe it's a counter balanced engine? I agree with the backrest part. I wish I had one for solo rides, but you're looking at having to buy a new seat with a backrest. If ya get a Street Glide it has a hole in the stock seat for a driver backrest to be added. Not sure if the RK has that same style seat that a backrest can be added to easily??

Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by learfxr
If ya get a Street Glide it has a hole in the stock seat for a driver backrest to be added. Not sure if the RK has that same style seat that a backrest can be added to easily??
I believe all the touring bikes come standard with the slit in the seats for a rider backrest. Bad part is most of the stock seats suck.

I've got a sundowner seat for my Street Glide for the long rides when I add the back rest.

Stock SG sits lower than a stock RK btw.

I'd try out some mods on the Rocker first if $ is a consideration. Otherwise I agree you should go for one of the touring bikes.

Good Luck,

Primo

Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
spade
Cruiser

You may not want to jump the gun on it. A lot of riders (self included) have herniated discs and are still able to ride without issue. You just have to give your self time to heal. I have 2 herniated discs and I ride a Softail.

Then again it's always nice to have an excuse to buy something new.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy instead of Rocker ??