Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

200 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:50 PM
FCM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200 conversion

I have a 2001 nightrain and would like to convert to 200mm set up but I cant afford the expensive kit. Anyway I already have a 2006 wheel and swingarm so what else do I need? The wheel has no pulley and I was told I need one from a 2006 which is a 1 inch pulley with a 7/8 belt is this correct? If anyone has done this can you please tell me what else I need and what needs to be done or changed? On a tight budget to do this so I am look for the cheapest way out. I love the look with the 200 tire setup! Thank you if you can help me

Old 11-28-2008, 10:57 PM
vulcanater
Road Captain

I can't help ya yet. But I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2000 Night Train. I already bought a rear fender and fender struts from an '07 Night Train, And a 17x6 wheel. I just bought a swingarm from a '08 Night Train. I'm waiting on it to come in.
Please keep me updated if you find any more info that will help and I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 11-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Soul_Cal
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2003 HD Night Train with a 180MM. If I wanted to go to a 200mm tire I would need to change the belt pulley from a 70t x 1 1/8" to a 70 x 20mm. By changing the pulley, belt, upper belt guard, and splash guard I can fit a 200mm without changing my stock swingarm. Hope that helps a little.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:28 AM
vulcanater
Road Captain

Thanks for the info. That's a Bad *** Train! what size rear rim is on it? And how much clearance do you have between tire and belt?
I have a 16" x 5.5" spoked wheel with a 200 metz on it that I thought about putting on. I was pretty sure that it would fit the stock swingarm without any mods. But I really wanted the 17"x6" solid rear wheel. I like the look and for the ease of cleaning. I've saw the post on here where the guy with the Deuce put a 17x6 on the stock swingarm and had to shave the stock wide pulley down a little bit. He wound up with a credit card width spacing between the belt and tire. And the tire wasn't exactly straight. And I wasn't sure if the deuce swingarm was the same width as a 2000 Night Train either. I just won the swingarm from an '07 Train(wrote '08 in last post, but it's '07) for $95.00 off ebay. Didn't think I could go wrong at that price. Figured I would resell it if I didn't use it.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Soul_Cal
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vulcanater
Thanks for the info. That's a Bad *** Train! what size rear rim is on it? And how much clearance do you have between tire and belt?
I have a 16" x 5.5" spoked wheel with a 200 metz on it that I thought about putting on. I was pretty sure that it would fit the stock swingarm without any mods. But I really wanted the 17"x6" solid rear wheel. I like the look and for the ease of cleaning. I've saw the post on here where the guy with the Deuce put a 17x6 on the stock swingarm and had to shave the stock wide pulley down a little bit. He wound up with a credit card width spacing between the belt and tire. And the tire wasn't exactly straight. And I wasn't sure if the deuce swingarm was the same width as a 2000 Night Train either. I just won the swingarm from an '07 Train(wrote '08 in last post, but it's '07) for $95.00 off ebay. Didn't think I could go wrong at that price. Figured I would resell it if I didn't use it.

Thanks,
Robert
I've got an 18X5.5 rim. I still have alot of room between the belt and tire -- probably about 8 credit cards. I am sure you will find your answer soon. Someone must have tried or done what you are trying to do.

Yes, e-Bay is great but the shipping cost and fees are getting higher and higher. The solid rear wheel looks sweet. Post some pics once you get it on. Have u seen this train with a solid rear wheel?

Attached Thumbnails 200 conversion-3d29_3.jpg  
Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 AM
vulcanater
Road Captain

DAMN!! That Train Is SWEET!!!!!
Thanks for the infoSoul_Cal. Hopefully after Christmas I can get to work on my Train.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 PM
rlbrobst
Novice

Originally Posted by vulcanater
I can't help ya yet. But I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2000 Night Train. I already bought a rear fender and fender struts from an '07 Night Train, And a 17x6 wheel. I just bought a swingarm from a '08 Night Train. I'm waiting on it to come in.
Please keep me updated if you find any more info that will help and I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Robert
08 swing arm is different in the caliper section. You will more than likely have to replace the caliper and bracket as well. I have been working on a mod for a 07 deuce and have run into this problem.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think all you need is the new belt pully set up along with a 5.5 or 6" wheel, and cut the internal struts off...may need a fender also

i elected to go the 240/250 route

Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 AM
jtmurph00
Road Captain

I thought there was some huge difference on the frames between 07+ and previous? Everybody who makes wide tire kits has different ones for up to 06 and 07 up. Will a swingarm from an 07+ fit on a previous year?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmurph00
I thought there was some huge difference on the frames between 07+ and previous? Everybody who makes wide tire kits has different ones for up to 06 and 07 up. Will a swingarm from an 07+ fit on a previous year?
The difference between a 06-07 is the hub size on the rear wheel, the spacers etc. other than that i think thats the only difference in the rear. to put a 200mm on a earlier model you will have to cut the fender struts, get a new rear fender and struts, spacers, rear wheel, pulley, and maybe a splash guard. my buddy converted his 02 standard to the 200 tire using the heartland kit. Just go to the heartland website and see what there kit offers and more than likely you will need the same stuff.

Quick Reply: 200 conversion