Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H BS Staggered

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Default V&H BS Staggered

Found them on Ebay for $440 (little hesitant to buy on ebay though),
and found them at PhatPerformance.com for $515; at JPMotors.com for $506; at DennisKirk.com
for $479; and various other places for more $

Anyone know of any better deals out there for them?

And, again, this is relatively easy enough that it can be a D-I-Y project?

I've been told that it is as long as I don't also plan any mods to the engine? I might in the future
but for right now I just want this exhaust. If I have any mods performed to the engine in the
future I will get it "mapped" at that time.

Last edited by P'colaHarley-17RGS; 11-24-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:42 AM
hellfish
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a pretty big discussion on this on a thread I started if you want to search for it. The skinny is, I ended up calling V&H and they recommended a high flow airfilter and fuel pack. Without those they said it would no run properly. If you want to just put exhausts on and nothing else, you are best to go with a slip-on.

Personally, I am getting these same pipes, a V&H fuel pack which I can configure myself, and an Arlen Ness Big Suck airfilter. These are only a few hundred more and the bike will run much better. (basically they said it wouldnt run right with just exhaust ..would sputter, backfire, and stall out) These are all fairly easy to install and V&H have some videos on their site as well.

Last edited by hellfish; 11-24-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellfish
There was a pretty big discussion on this on a thread I started if you want to search for it. The skinny is, I ended up calling V&H and they recommended a high flow airfilter and fuel pack. Without those they said it would no run properly. If you want to just put exhausts on and nothing else, you are best to go with a slip-on.

Personally, I am getting these same pipes, a V&H fuel pack which I can configure myself, and an Arlen Ness Big Suck airfilter. These are only a few hundred more and the bike will run much better. These are all fairly easy to install and &H have some videos on their site as well.
Ok... does the V&H fuel pack eliminate the need to have it mapped?
Or will that need to be done too?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 AM
hellfish
Tourer

The Fuel Pack is the 'map'. You plug it in under the seat and put in a code that matches your bike (that you find on the fuel pack website) and it adjusts the fuel consistancy.

The fuel pack is like $250 and big suck was $150 or so if I'm remembering correctly. Get all three of these and do it yourself! Save a ton of money. I've never worked on a bike before in my life, but after a bunch of research I see that it's not that hard to install these at all. They give clear innstructions and the V&H cust service is top notch.

Last edited by hellfish; 11-24-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellfish
The Fuel Pack is the 'map'. You plug it in under the seat and put in a code that matches your bike (that you find on the fuel pack website) and it adjusts the fuel consistancy.

The fuel pack is like $250 and big suck was $150 or so if I'm remembering correctly. Get all three of these and do it yourself! Save a ton of money. I've never worked on a bike before in my life, but after a bunch of research I see that it's not that hard to install these at all. They give clear innstructions and the V&H cust service is top notch.
Cool. Thanks for your help.

Do you have the URL for the fuel pack website?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

Nevermind. I went to V&H and found the link.... thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 AM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got the same set up for my 06 Heritage (BSS, Fuelpak, Big Sucker). I bought everything from Eastern Performace. The fuelpak came with a booklet with all of the settings for your bike.

Installation was very straightforward - the pipes and AC were basically bolt-on direct replacements. For my model year, I did replace the stock flanges with thinner chrome ones. I also used the SE gaskets. I'm no mechanic but I was able to do this in my garage. For the fuelpak, just follow the instructions - it's very simple.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:59 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by smittyp83
I've got the same set up for my 06 Heritage (BSS, Fuelpak, Big Sucker). I bought everything from Eastern Performace. The fuelpak came with a booklet with all of the settings for your bike.

Installation was very straightforward - the pipes and AC were basically bolt-on direct replacements. For my model year, I did replace the stock flanges with thinner chrome ones. I also used the SE gaskets. I'm no mechanic but I was able to do this in my garage. For the fuelpak, just follow the instructions - it's very simple.
cool thanks for your help too.

questions...

1. did you, or will I, need any special tools?

2. did the SE gaskets come with the exhaust? If not, I guess I can just get the from the local dealership?

3. how long did it take you to accomplish this?

4. no problems afterwards? you didn't have to end up getting it retuned or anything? and you've been happy with the setup?

5. you purchased the bigsucker from EasternPerformance too?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

http://www.easternperformance.com/in...oducts_id=1695

Just want to make sure. Is this the right intake? Are there others? Or is this
widely considered the best of the bunch?

Also, baffle type? Standard right? One of the reasons I'm doing this is because
I want it louder... so I don't want the quiet baffle right?

Last edited by P'colaHarley-17RGS; 11-24-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
jefnightrain
Tourer

I have quiet baffles in my BSS. I didn't like the sound of the standard baffles. The quiets are a much deeper tone & not a hell of alot quieter. I am always getting compliments on the way my bike sounds. I think the difference is 2-3 dbl

Quick Reply: V&H BS Staggered