Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hanger install difficulty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:28 PM
FACTION95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know the order I'm going to want to do this? Also where exactly do I cut the wires and resolder? Cut them before the harnes?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,002 Likes on 515 Posts

Basic order I followed:

- put on fender cover
- disconnected battery
- removed tank
- removed pipes
- removed air cleaner
- removed bars
- removed risers

replaced in basically reverse order. If I remember correctly, the wires are unplugged via a molex connector and you have to remove the pins from the connector so you can get them through your new bars. All the wires are color coded but I drew a little diagram for myself anyway. You can extend the wires anywhere along the bar side or on the frame side...it is up to you. I think most folks prefer to extend on the bar side of the molex. You could also buy a couple of molex connectors and pins and make your own extension harness of any length you want. I cannot remember exactly but I think I extended my wiring around 12" for my 16" apes. I think I went +10" on the clutch cable and +8" on the brake and throttle/idle cables. I went with diamond backs from Harley. Pay attention to the wire bundle routing inside the switch housings, things are really tight in there and you could easily pinch a wire if not careful. The instructions for the chrome housings, or maybe the manual, has a pic showing the routing too.

I did the job myself with no help and I am not a mechanic. I did have my wife help me when I bled the front brake. I needed someone to pull the lever while I opened/closed the bleed valve.

I also changed out my pipes, race tuner, high flow AC, Z brake pads, new rotors, new pulley, and a bunch of chrome myself too. I also do most of my maintenance. I have found that it is just part of the fun and experience of owning Harleys. I have invested in a bike jack, some craftsmen sockets, torx, 2 torque wrenches, and a bunch of other tools over the years as I go. What would make it more fun is if some of my friends enjoyed working on them too. None of the guys I ride with that live close work on their bikes.

My best advice is to just take your time and try to enjoy it. Read all the instructions that come with the parts and also the manual.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:58 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Write down the parts you will need before starting the swap... To be sure you have everything you need like Poly Bushing for riser, bango bolts washers, trans cover gasket,
brake fluid and so on. It sucks when you start something and can't finsh because of something you overlooked. Good luck!

Name:  P1010002-8.jpg
Views: 3655
Size:  75.6 KB

Old 11-27-2008, 06:48 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by story808
Write down the parts you will need before starting the swap... To be sure you have everything you need like Poly Bushing for riser, bango bolts washers, trans cover gasket,
brake fluid and so on. It sucks when you start something and can't finsh because of something you overlooked. Good luck!
That's excellent advice.....remember to get a quart of trans lube.....you'll probably lose some when removing the side cover to replace the clutch cable, and you might as well just change it to new.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:50 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Basic order I followed:

- put on fender cover
- disconnected battery
- removed tank
- removed pipes
- removed air cleaner
- removed bars
- removed risers

replaced in basically reverse order. If I remember correctly, the wires are unplugged via a molex connector and you have to remove the pins from the connector so you can get them through your new bars. All the wires are color coded but I drew a little diagram for myself anyway. You can extend the wires anywhere along the bar side or on the frame side...it is up to you. I think most folks prefer to extend on the bar side of the molex. You could also buy a couple of molex connectors and pins and make your own extension harness of any length you want. I cannot remember exactly but I think I extended my wiring around 12" for my 16" apes. I think I went +10" on the clutch cable and +8" on the brake and throttle/idle cables. I went with diamond backs from Harley. Pay attention to the wire bundle routing inside the switch housings, things are really tight in there and you could easily pinch a wire if not careful. The instructions for the chrome housings, or maybe the manual, has a pic showing the routing too.

I did the job myself with no help and I am not a mechanic. I did have my wife help me when I bled the front brake. I needed someone to pull the lever while I opened/closed the bleed valve.

I also changed out my pipes, race tuner, high flow AC, Z brake pads, new rotors, new pulley, and a bunch of chrome myself too. I also do most of my maintenance. I have found that it is just part of the fun and experience of owning Harleys. I have invested in a bike jack, some craftsmen sockets, torx, 2 torque wrenches, and a bunch of other tools over the years as I go. What would make it more fun is if some of my friends enjoyed working on them too. None of the guys I ride with that live close work on their bikes.

My best advice is to just take your time and try to enjoy it. Read all the instructions that come with the parts and also the manual.
Good advice!
Good screen name as well. A strat and a Marshall plexi......classic combination!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:09 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks...nothing like a Strat in a plexi....pure magic. Of course a Les Paul in a Marshall plexi aint to bad either....

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:23 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yo bike is sick get that outta here LOL jk almost there w/parts list
gatta get trans fluid,brake fluid as well fergot those,seems like most have had good experience w/ novello kit so i get one of them too im lookin forward to doing this me self.

Originally Posted by story808
Write down the parts you will need before
starting the swap... To be sure you have everything you need like Poly Bushing for riser, bango bolts washers, trans cover gasket,

Old 11-30-2008, 01:00 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

Ok guys I'm right in the middle of doing this whole job myself. So far so good except I snapped the fuel line hose trying to slide the tank back! Gas was everywhere. I think I was high yesterday after breathing gas fumes for a couple hours. I've removed the beach bars and most everything else. Today I'm going to tackle the clutch cable swap. This week I should be getting the Wild1 Fat Riser adaptor kit. Then I'll be able to use my stock 1.25" risers with my Wild1 apes. I also have to do the soldering since the wires are about 10" too short.

So whats the story with the Novello kit? Does it come with the deutch connectors?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

Here are some picts of where I'm at right now:

Name:  ApeInstall023.jpg
Views: 3546
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  ApeInstall020.jpg
Views: 3551
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  ApeInstall021.jpg
Views: 3525
Size:  147.1 KB

Old 11-30-2008, 04:59 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FACTION95
Ok guys I'm right in the middle of doing this whole job myself. So far so good except I snapped the fuel line hose trying to slide the tank back! Gas was everywhere. I think I was high yesterday after breathing gas fumes for a couple hours. I've removed the beach bars and most everything else. Today I'm going to tackle the clutch cable swap. This week I should be getting the Wild1 Fat Riser adaptor kit. Then I'll be able to use my stock 1.25" risers with my Wild1 apes. I also have to do the soldering since the wires are about 10" too short.

So whats the story with the Novello kit? Does it come with the deutch connectors?
Don't know anything about Novello but I think Harley sells an extension kit that is plug and play if you only need about 10". You could check with your dealer.

Quick Reply: Ape Hanger install difficulty?