Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Heritage cosmetic upgrade suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:02 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 2005 Heritage cosmetic upgrade suggestions?

I just bought this cycle and wondered what some of the nicer cosmetic modifications are. I am thinking mostly of chrome doodads and replacements. Also, where are the best websites to get the mods you suggest?

This Heritage is the carb version and it already has 2 into one pipes, Mustang seat and pillion, and a cool, digital Dakota speedometer, which I had never seen before. The rest of it all looks pretty standard. It does have the all black tires, but I will definitely go with whitewalls when these tires are due for replacement. I just like the whitewall old-style look better.

Thanks in advance for anyone interested enough to make suggestions. Photos would be great if anyone cares to include them. Brad: albngore@fmtc.com

Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

How 'bout a nice new chrome front end kit, custom mirrors, swingarm covers . . . ?

Just get hold of the new parts catalog and have at.

Last edited by Sleeko; 11-24-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Chrome front end, a 21" fat spoke wheel with a whitewall, and a 16" fat spoke rear wheel. Maybe some chrome switch housings, steel braided lines, new grips, on and on we can go. We need to see a pic to better help you.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Photos coming soon

Thanks for the suggestions. I do not really like spoke wheels because they are just too hard to keep clean. Any other wheel design suggestions?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:00 PM
hellfish
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest that you browse through the parts catalog and sites on the internet and put on what grabs your attention. Your bike should be about you, not what others think is cool.

I'm picking up my Heritage tomorrow. Things I'm doing to it I've planed all year! I already had it lowered 1" and added ISO grips. My first plans are ...removing reflectors, removing leather braids in conchos, putting on visor trim rings on front light and all turn signals, Installing some arched teardrop mirrors that come to a point, willie G derby cover and sissy plate medalion, heritage chome half-moon floorboard inserts with matching brake pedal and shifter pegs. Layback curved licence plate, Vance and Hines shaggered bigshots, new airfilter and power commander, I really like the extra spoke wheels, like 80 or 120, possible radials, etc, etc. That should keep me busy for a while

My goal is to balance the 'Heritage' look of the bike with a tough heavy-metal kinda look, in a classy way. Nothing toooo radical

...but, clearly your tastes will differ from mine if you like the whitewall look. It's too old-school for me, personally. I suggest you start doing research and browsing on your own and do what catches your eye! You'll appriciate it more than copying someone elses look. ..buy hey, I'm a brand new 'biker' ...so I'm speaking from a clearly aristic point of view.

Last edited by hellfish; 11-25-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

One piece of advice... don't spend your cash on cheap add-ons such as trim rings, grills, chrome covers, grips and all that "cheap" stuff. Save right from the start to crash into the big leagues such as wheels, suspension, paint jobs, this is cosmetically speaking.... Performance is another thing. Tranny, intake-PC-exhaust, wires, coils, cams, etc... Choose wisely, you can spend a fortune on botox and then realize you needed a rinoplasty or tummie tuck hehehe...

Mimo.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:45 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
Thanks for the suggestions. I do not really like spoke wheels because they are just too hard to keep clean. Any other wheel design suggestions?
Browse die cast wheels, there are several retailers and also top chit stuff from the master builders, but those last ones run about $2K a wheel (Arlen Ness for an example)

Mimo.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM
hellfish
Tourer

Originally Posted by mimo
One piece of advice... don't spend your cash on cheap add-ons such as trim rings, grills, chrome covers, grips and all that "cheap" stuff. Save right from the start to crash into the big leagues such as wheels, suspension, paint jobs, this is cosmetically speaking.... Performance is another thing. Tranny, intake-PC-exhaust, wires, coils, cams, etc... Choose wisely, you can spend a fortune on botox and then realize you needed a rinoplasty or tummie tuck hehehe...

Mimo.
That's true, but it depends on what you value and what you are going for. If you want to increase the performance, thats one thing ...but some like the way it is and want to tweak the outer apperance! Plus it depends on budget. I personally think the trim rings make the lights look a lot better plus they are a cheap starting point! Same with floor boards and all that. Don't get me wrong, what you are doing to your bike is bad ***!! ...I just dont have that kinda cash right now.

Last edited by hellfish; 11-25-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Harvard
Stage I
Default Little Bits of Chrome

Just some looks of added chrome to my 05 Heritage

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Heritage cosmetic upgrade suggestions?-dsc00144compressed.jpg  

Last edited by Harvard; 09-29-2009 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Forgot pic!