Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I screwed Up Guys Need some help big time

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Simatank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I screwed Up Guys Need some help big time

I got my new Aps on my Nighttrain last weekend and did all the wire woek myself and when i was done turn signals,fuel pump,and horn don't work hit the start and nothing?????????
should i take the wiring apart and do it all again and soider everything or have i Really screwed my self I have all winter to fix it and the way i look at it is if some guy at a stealer can do this i can to it just may take me all winter any help would be great guys?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
07 J/E FatBoy
Advanced

Not sure if you have created a short and/or done other damage, my guess is that the wires came apart and no other damage... you will know with time.

Not much help, but good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Asphalt Assailant
Advanced

Chech the fuses and recheck connections.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Check ALL wiring before changing fuses, turning bike on or anything else. And you should do this with the battery disconnected. If you did not solder wires the first time, then re do it and make sure each wire is protected with heat shrink tubing.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you soldier the new wire extensions in?

Not an electrician, but couldn't you check for a short with a continuity(?sp?) meter. Unplug each wire and check them to the frame, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BATTERY DISCONNECTED!!!

Good Luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing, took about $175 for the dealer to figure out where the sort was for me.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:43 PM
spade
Cruiser

maybe start with a description of what you did.

did you add extensions to the existing wiring? if so, are they on the control side or on the chassis? did you run full length new cables?

give us a walk thru to help you narrow down where to look

Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Simatank
Tourer

I'm think the wires just came lose will i was pulling them throw the Bars (I hope) I think i will pull them apart this weekend and solder all the wires and go from there and look at the fuse's to anything eles anyone could think of? the head light still works and high low beam and the signals come on but just don't flash and i guess if all eles fails of to the stealer and a big kick in the junk to my self?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:49 PM
08Fatty
Tourer

Don't give up, like you said you have all winter. Just double check your work from start to finish. Check for blown fuse, that might give you an idea were to start. The next best thing to riding a Harley is working on one. Good luck.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Simatank
Tourer

Yeah i bought extensions and added them to the control side i used the male female ends but did not solder them (i will have to look at what make they are) I unpluged them from the bike took apart the conectors and put the extensions on shrink wrapped them and fed them throw the bars and then put the conectors back together and pluged them back in the wires were not crossed because i took pics of everything as i was going and when i tried to start the bike nothing just the headlight high low beam and the speedo lights and readout worked the turnsignals where on but would not flash?

Quick Reply: I screwed Up Guys Need some help big time