Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions about the Fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:18 PM
HeliRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions about the Fatboy?

A buddy and me were in Harley shop today and he really, really liked the 2009 Fat Boy. Only thing he wasn’t sure about was the Fat Boy for two up riding and it seems that the passenger right foot would be real close to the exhaust. So the dealer said maybe he should consider the Heritage for two up riding, however he really liked the look of the Fat Boy over the Heritage. I actually thought he was going to close the deal before we left the dealer today and maybe he would have if I wouldn’t said let me see what the folks have to say on the HD forum web site about his concerns. I think the dealer wanted to kill me. So any information you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated I think he is very interested in buying the Fat Boy and sure would great to have my bud and his wife hit the roads with the me and the wife.

Thanks in advance.
HeliRider

Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 PM
learfxr
Tourer

I enjoy taking my wife riding on my 09 Fattie. The Fat Boy has a pretty large passenger seat. First thing was to add the bolt on sissy bar and the touring Fat Boy backrest. It's much cheaper than the detachable stuff. Don't worry about the pipes, they have heat shields on them back there. Plus, that's usually the first thing we want to change. I drilled out the baffle plates on my stock mufflers so they are decent until I can buy the new pipes.

My wife and I are not little people. We both are around 230-240lbs. If we can do it, then just about anyone can. We did have issues with my mom's Dyna Low Rider, it would bottom out on bumps due to our weight. The softails have much better rear suspension for the weight.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 PM
08Fatty
Tourer

Add Sissy bar and saddlebags and you basically have the same bike. I used detachable hardware so I can strip it down for solo riding and cleaning. Also wife really likes floorboards, so they were added too. He will spend more to get the Fatboy set up but if the Fatboy is what he wants, he wont be happy with anything else. Dealer is full of it. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A 2009, I would definitely get the Fatboy. I don't like the changes they made to the Heritage.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 PM
HeliRider
Cruiser
Default Thanks

Thanks for the information guys.

Heli

Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 PM
goblish
Cruiser

I would go for the fatboy for sure, change the pipes and there will be no problems.

Attached Thumbnails Couple questions about the Fatboy?-cimg0618.jpg   Couple questions about the Fatboy?-cimg0617.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 08:36 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I like my 06 Fatty but salivate everytime I see the 09 on the showroom floor. So I say tell him to get it. Two can ride comfortably especially if he buys the backrest. He won't regret it.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by learfxr

Beautiful bike learfxr.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:44 PM
learfxr
Tourer

Thanks
It is a work in progress. I'm getting a few toys for it soon. I want Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggered pipes, Wind Vest windshield. Just put some used saddle bags on it from a Springer softail. The latest pic with the bags was from my phone, so not the greatest pic.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:08 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Heritage is handy, since it already has saddlebags and a windshield. If you are going to ride 2 up on the Fat Boy it wont be long before you add those items. I added saddlebags, but have no need for a windshield.
Tom

Quick Reply: Couple questions about the Fatboy?