Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Thundermax worth the extra $$$ for a Stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
hellfish
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the tips! You guys are the best! Happy Holidays and safe riding to all!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no experience with the Thundermax, only what I have read on the forums.
There are a few member's of different forums that have had nothing but grief with the Thundermax. They say that it dials the bike in great, but as you put more miles on it gets further and further out of tune. They have taken theirs off and gone to different systems.
For as much as it cost, I would be concerned about any bad reviews.
Do a google search on the Thundermax.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:23 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the Power Commander V. Also has auto-tune addon. PC-V is about $290 and auto-tune addon is $300 i think. Just a thought...

Old 12-19-2008, 03:44 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronyd
Check out the Power Commander V. Also has auto-tune addon. PC-V is about $290 and auto-tune addon is $300 i think. Just a thought...

Does that mean that the piggy-back PC has a piggy-back on it?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:01 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
I have no experience with the Thundermax, only what I have read on the forums.
There are a few member's of different forums that have had nothing but grief with the Thundermax. They say that it dials the bike in great, but as you put more miles on it gets further and further out of tune. They have taken theirs off and gone to different systems.
For as much as it cost, I would be concerned about any bad reviews.
Do a google search on the Thundermax.

Bad reviews? Everyone I know that has one loves it. Here are a couple reviews:
http://reviews.ebay.com/THUNDERMAX-E...AT:-1:SEARCH:6

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...m-install.html

T-Max:
Easy Installation
Improved Rideability
Quicker Throttle Response
Automatic Learned Tuning
Engine Overheating Indicator
Idle Control
Easily Add Nitrous
Adjustable Rev Limit
Continually Upgradeable
AutoTune for Power or Economy
The Ultimate Engine Management System for Harley-Davidson® Motorcycles!
The ThunderMax electronic fuel injection system was developed with complete versatility in mind. It is a fast and powerful processor, with many more points of adjustment, or resolution, than any of the other electronic fuel injection module add-ons.

For pre-2007 bikes we offer several ThunderMax EFI options. Part #309-340 gives you an Open Loop system, or add #309-350 later for Closed Loop capability. Not sure what system you need? Don't hesitate to give us a call at (410)579-2828!

When ordering, please see "Module Version" and select your desired option.
Price changes will appear on your order form.

ThunderMax for 2008 Touring models with Drive-By-Wire throttle is currently under development.
Zipper’s Performance Products is accepting pre-orders for the ‘08 Touring ECM (Part # 309-362) by phone only. Simply call their sales team (410.579.2828) to place your pre-order. The list of pre-orders is growing, so if you want to reserve your place in line, it is best to do it soon!***

The PC V:
New Power Commander V

Reduced size from PCIIIusb (less than half of the size of PCIII)
USB powered from computer (9 volt adapter is no longer needed for programming)
2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included)
Gear/Speed input (allows for map adjustment based on gear and speed)
Analog input (allows user to install any 0-5 volt sensor and build an adjustment table based on its input such as boost or temperature)
With gear position input connected the PCV is capable of allowing each cylinder to be mapped individually and for each gear (for example: on a 4 cylinder bike with a six speed transmission there could be up to 24 separate fuel tables).
Unit has a -100/+250% fuel change range (up from -100/+100%). This allows more adjustment range for 8 injector sportbikes
10 throttle position columns (up from 9 on PCIIIusb)
Enhanced “accel pump” utility (increased adjustment and sensitivity ranges)

Note: PCV’s will only be available for 2009+ model year motorcycles! 2008 and older models must still use the Power Commander III's. There are no plans for supporting past model years with the PCV.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mopardave,
As I stated in my original post, I have no experience with the Thundermax, only what I read. I do read a lot of good reviews, but there have also been some bad reviews.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=31078.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=24971.15
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=19915.0
Tom

Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Thunder Max

Someone previously stated that Zipper's Customer Service was great. I agree, after they couldn't get my TM tuned properly, even after confering with their engineers in the next room, they refunded my money. I had it taken off and went back to my SERT System that I had on my 2008 Heritage before. If Zippers would offer me a TM/AS free I would tell them to jam it up where the sun don't shine.

2008 Heritage Classic
SERT System, Dyno Tuned
K&N Hi Flow AC
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers

Old 12-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member

Hrd Rider... what issues did you have?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Angry

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
Hrd Rider... what issues did you have?
Gas mileage dropped to 34 MPG. When rolling off the throttle I first had one shotgun loud backfire, after that the decel pop was real bad. When I came down on the throttle to accelerate, bike would spit and hesitate before acceleration kicked in. I also lost my Reserve Mileage Indicator which gives you a readout in Speedometer area. After 300 miles of Ignition on and Ignition off none of the above problems went away. I was told by Zippers that all of my problems would eventually dissappear after the TM/AT finished the initial tuning.

I live 40 miles from Z and bought the unit from them at their location, they would not install it but recommended someone close by. After two trips to his back alley shop and even after he performed a DynoRun my bike still ran like s--t. Thats when I took my bike down to Z's, after two super techs worked on the bike along with running back and forth confering with the engineers in the next room, it was no better. Being very ****--d off I took the damn thing off and put the SERT back on and had it Dyno Tuned again. The Dyno print out read 73 HP and 87 TQ, AF/R was 13.2 thru full RPM Range. I know these are not the greatest numbers but I didn't buy the bike for racing but for trouble free touring.

Yea, their Customer Service Dept. really have their s--t together. At least I got my $800 back from them and I guaranteed them they would never sell another TM to anyone I knew.

2008 Heritage Classic
SERT System
K&N AC
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers

I just got back off of a 5395 mile trip to Idaho my bike now runs fine, none of the above problems. Running 70--75 MPH I averaged between 39--42 mpg.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:14 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

All I can say to that is, that's mighty strange! I'm no expert on these devises but I installed it myself and had absolutely no problems. As I said before, my current "base map" is not even the right one for my bike. I don't know my exact mileage, but it's ABOVE 40 MPG! My bike runs great. If the only worry anyone has is whether or not the product works and whether or not the manufacturer stands behind the product, then I can't see why you would not try a TMax. I bought mine soon after they first came out. Bike runs great. I still have not put the 401 map in because it runs great. Good luck everyone. Hey, if you buy a TMax and you have problems, at least they will help you out or refund your money. That is getting pretty rare these days.

P.S. I think someone already suggested this, but calling the guys at Fuel Moto might be a good idea. they sell both the PC and TMax (among others) and are known to be very customer friendly.
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/zippers_thundermax.htm

Last edited by mopardave; 12-20-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: P.S.

Quick Reply: Is Thundermax worth the extra $$$ for a Stage 1?