Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII vs. SE Race Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Radalack17
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII vs. SE Race Tuner

I did some research on the PCIII the past couple months and asked for it for Christmas. Well, Santa Clause brought the SE Race Tuner instead.... I haven't read ANYTHING about the Race Tuner, so I was wondering if I could get everyone's opinions/feedback of the Race Tuner and its + and -.
Also, I read a little bit about it this morning when I received it and some people say they have a ECM Cable, Interface Cable, CD-ROM and the SERT. I Believe I have the SERT (is that what comes in the little box marked "Warning breaking seal on box.........?") and that's it.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:55 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check into the ECM/Tuner/Ignition Thread. There will be tons more information there. I see you're in Lancaster PA.....how far from Bethlaham is that? You should definitely give Dave @ JD's Cycles a call. He's a dyno guy who can probably help you a TON.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tuner that is doing my bike here next week summed it up for me like this....

PC3 is OK but missing a few things to get it really right?

SERT allows him to get in the "House" and do some rearranging but wont let him in the Attic or the basement?.

Direct Link allows him in the house with absolute unfettered, unrestricted access to every room, nook and cranny including the cabinet under the sink in the guest bathroom.

My first choice would have been SERT over PC3. My choice now is having him do the Direct Link tuning as he is up the road from my house and the whole deal set-up and dyno tuned is right under $500.00.

You did good geting the SERT over the PC# according to his logic.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Radalack17
Cruiser

Originally Posted by beaureed445
Check into the ECM/Tuner/Ignition Thread. There will be tons more information there. I see you're in Lancaster PA.....how far from Bethlaham is that? You should definitely give Dave @ JD's Cycles a call. He's a dyno guy who can probably help you a TON.

I am about 2 hours from his shop. I have heard good things about him though.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Radalack17
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
The tuner that is doing my bike here next week summed it up for me like this....

PC3 is OK but missing a few things to get it really right?

SERT allows him to get in the "House" and do some rearranging but wont let him in the Attic or the basement?.

Direct Link allows him in the house with absolute unfettered, unrestricted access to every room, nook and cranny including the cabinet under the sink in the guest bathroom.

My first choice would have been SERT over PC3. My choice now is having him do the Direct Link tuning as he is up the road from my house and the whole deal set-up and dyno tuned is right under $500.00.

You did good geting the SERT over the PC# according to his logic.

But should I have received more than just the SERT??

Old 12-25-2008, 06:46 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The later version of the SERT didn't come with a cable any longer. I'm not sure about the software. Others can pipe in on that. You can purchase the cable. It's not an expensive item. I haven't used a PC III or any other version of DynoJet tuners for that matter. I have used and currently still use the newest HD tuner. The SEST. Either one offers more tuning capabilities than the DynoJet stuff. The HD tuners let you tune in a much broader area of parameters. As far as I can tell. The only drawback to the HD tuners is the lack of ability to upload an existing tune from the bike. You must have a copy of whatever was downloaded to the bike's ECM to be able to see it and modify it. Otherwise you're forced to start from scratch each time.

My advice would be to go with the HD tuner. It's a good product. Just be sure to get a copy of the tune they load in your bike. All you need to have is a thumb drive (flash drive) that they can plug in to a usb port and copy the file to. If you have the software cd, you can load it on your own pc or laptop. Buy the cable and you will be able to connect to the bike and make changes to the tune if you want or need to.

Through trial and error and help from people here you'll be able to do all this without having a dyno at your disposal. I had mine dyno tuned and then went back and made some changes to fuel and timing until I got the results I was looking for. It took many attempts and much time, but I got it where I wanted it without having to go back to the dealership for more dyno time. I'm not a tuning expert by any stretch. They got it where they thought it should be and I just enhanced it a bit. I couldn't have gotten it where it is without the dyno tune first though.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:47 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SERT/SEST is better than PCIII (which is what I have). But, if/when I replace it, I'm seriously going to consider the TTS Matertuner. Only challenge for me is: no tuner in my area with experience on the Mastertuner. By the way, Dave at JD's is TOP NOTCH. I just received a set of heads from him yesterday for my 103".

Old 12-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Radalack17
Cruiser

Originally Posted by beaureed445
SERT/SEST is better than PCIII (which is what I have). But, if/when I replace it, I'm seriously going to consider the TTS Matertuner. Only challenge for me is: no tuner in my area with experience on the Mastertuner. By the way, Dave at JD's is TOP NOTCH. I just received a set of heads from him yesterday for my 103".
Did you receive anything with your SERT? CD-ROM, ECM Cable or Interface Cable?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Chazmanian. I live in RI and have Johnson Engine Techology 30 minutes away. I bought their JET airstack which is pretty impressive. they gave me a real great tour of the place. we talked about tuners. they too use Direct link. these guys definitely know their ****. Basically summed it up like Chazmanian. I'm telling ya, nothing like hearing it straight fromo guys who are knowledgable about engine building and tuning. They were definitely not impressed with Power Commander, and really thought the auto-tuners, like thundermax, etc had their own issues and disadvantages.. Bottom line, talk to the tuner and find out the real dope before reading all the marketing hype.