Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Larger Gas Tank on 22 Street Bob

Old 04-28-2023, 02:31 AM
NickolasW
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger Gas Tank on 22 Street Bob

Hey everyone. This is my first post here so my apologies if this has been asked before.

I’m fairly new to the HD world and have just got myself a 22 Street Bob. Traded a sportster S for it that I purchased last year, but didn’t ride much because it was pretty uncomfortable to me and didn’t give me that “feeling”. Not sure how else to describe it lol.

This Street Bob is a totally different situation. I love this thing and can’t stop researching things to do with it lol.

I think the one downfall I’m facing is the gas tank capacity. I commute about 2 hours both ways and pretty much have to fill up everyday I use it to commute. I’ve been looking around and have seen some guys are putting softail slim 5 gallon tanks on them which is an option, but fumbling around on eBay, I came across this (photo below). Wondering if anyone could let me know if this would actually work for my bike and what additional I would need. The pictures on the listing seem to be of a street Bob also, but I could be mistaken.

Here’s the link if anyone else wants to take a look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404136069186?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=blwrr-ufszm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ckJQ46O5S-i&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-28-2023, 04:10 AM
Ado
Cruiser
Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
the top post that says
softail 2018+
Is where you want to post for m8 bikes.
the slim tank is still available thru your dealer and will be of a good quality.
Personally the ebay tank doesn't look great. Even the seller doesn't sound confident about the fit.
And yes the sportster s and softail are very different. I like both....

Old 04-28-2023, 06:05 AM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 315 Likes on 218 Posts

i found that same post on ebay, most mounting appears to be what is needed, the tank looks rather decent in appearance.
fuel pump mounting, and YOUR sender depth will most likely not be accurate for fuel level or range. yours is setup for a smaller tank.

the average guy doing this swap, is most likely using a larger harley tank from other softtail lines...there are a few posts on this forum outlining this swap.

honestly, i like it. the crossover tube seems pointless, it is just creating an additional low point to hold OLD fuel. unless you T it somewhere to aid in feed to the lowest point of the tank. one thing you may learn real fast is this...custom is just that, CUSTOM and most are trial and error and make the investment work.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:57 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Seems like this might be the easiest way to get a direct fit. Fitting a new tank that isn't prepped or painted is going to be some work. Finding a tank from a slim might be easier, especially if it's a take off. Nice thing about it is that you can pretty much run any color you want if your fenders are black, as it should still blend. 1.5 gallons is only going to give you maybe 60 miles at the most. If your commute is 2 hours, then I guess you'll still end up filling up about as often as you are right now anyway, so that's food for thought.

Old 04-28-2023, 09:42 AM
NickolasW
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the welcome and info. I do like the look of the eBay tank personally, but yeah it would probably be a little more involved than a factory slim or other softail tank. I don’t think I’d be heavily concerned about accuracy in fuel reading as long as the added fuel capacity is actually usable on the swap though.

@Stretchman That’s actually the video that got this whole train running for me and I ended up finding the eBay tank.

@stormin08 Would picking up a fuel pump from a bike, say a slim, with a larger tank possibly be a solution for what you’ve outlined?

Again, thanks everyone for the direction and I’ll try to keep this post as updated as I can with my decisions.

Old 04-30-2023, 05:52 PM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 315 Likes on 218 Posts

you need the correct sender, for it to be accurate.

dont get discouraged, that tank you posted would be cool and unique.

i am working my rear fender now, and it has been a scratch start even using an older harley part. i have about a dozen holes to fill, most unseen....but i dont want them there.

check out my thread called BOBTAIL FENDER