Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY Step-by-step installation guide for the Harley Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Toneaero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MY Step-by-step installation guide for the Harley Garage Door Opener

Here is my installation guide for the Harley garage door opener part 91558-01A. The included instructions were very poorly written with very few pictures. I decided to do a public service and post a step-by-step how to for a 2008 Rocker C. Before you read any further, if you haven't considered getting this kit, do it! No need to carry a remote or get off the bike any more when I pull into the driveway. All I got to do now is flick on my high beams and up goes my garage.

Here is the kit: (91558-01A) It comes with a receiver, trasmitter, and everything needed to install the kit.

The transmitter has 4 wires. Black=ground, Orange/white=power, Yellow and white wires for tapping into the high/low beam wires.

The yellow and white wires are under your gas tank so you will need to take the tank off. An empty tank is ideal. (dont ask me how I know this) Start by taking off the speedometer.

With the gas tank off, the wires you need to tap into are on the left side.

Here is a diagram on what you need to do with the wires.

Near the neck of the bike, you will see the yellow and white wires you need to tap into. The transmitter will also have the same yellow and white wires for you to splice with.

I decided to use these "tap splices" instead of using a butt splice. Tap splices doesn't require any cutting of the original wires.

This is what tap splicing the receiver wires to the high/low beam wire would look like.

This is where I decided to place the transmitter. Its slim enough to squeeze into tight spots. Any where away from a direct heat source is ideal.

Ground the trasmitter here:

The fuse box is the next step. The empty spot is where the new wire and fuse will go.

This is the supplied connector/wire in the kit. Cut off the "end" that doesn't work with your style fuse box.

No need to remove the fuse box, just feed the connector/wire through the bottom.

Place the supplied fuse to "complete the circuit" of the new wire you placed into the fuse box.

Use a supplied butt splice to splice the transimtter's power wire into the fuse box wire.

Make sure everything still fits under the cover.

You must install the gas tank and speedo before testing the trasmitter. Power on the bike but don't start it. Flick on the headlight from high beam to low beam. You will see a little LED light turn on in the trasmitter. If there is no light, then you will need to recheck all your wiring.

Plug the receiver into an outlet. You will need to wire the receiver directly to the garage door motor or to the button you already have.

To program, you will need to press and hold the small button on the receiver till it blinks. Have someone else flick the high/low beam on the motorcycle. The blinking light on the receiver will turn off after "pairing" with the bike. Let go of the button and programing will be completed.

Here is the link to my picture hosting site for the original installation pictures: http://ImageEvent.com/toneaero/vroom...ragedooropener

Best mod yet!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent how-to man, thanks for sharing.

Mimo.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

That's probably the best how-to thread I've seen, excellent job. Looked like a lot of work though
(and I already have two jobs)

Old 01-10-2009, 07:39 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wheres the pics? red xs here

Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank's man been wanting to buy 1 of those forever! now I have no reason not to, you made it look simple.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

This was a great How To!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Pictures are always a great thing. Good Job !

My only suggestion would be to not use the Butt Splice-Splice Connectors and Solder and use Shrink Tubing instead if you could.

Mike
NY

Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great info. I will use it when I do my install. Still trying to decide whether to install it, or sell it. It's still new in the box.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
murd
Road Warrior

Thank you for taking the time to put the pics and step by step guide up. I think I could actually do this.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Toneaero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WARG
Great info. I will use it when I do my install. Still trying to decide whether to install it, or sell it. It's still new in the box.
Keep it! It was a great winter project.

Quick Reply: MY Step-by-step installation guide for the Harley Garage Door Opener