Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing on the Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Whoad00d
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks real sharp fits the bike perfect the average joe would never guess quick detach

Old 02-22-2009, 08:53 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, completely changes the complexion of the bike. I'll bet it would look good on my black and white Deluxe.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:05 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweeeeettttttttttttt!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For you guys that have purchased the Memphis Shades faring, looks good, but how is the wind protection?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DGlide04
For you guys that have purchased the Memphis Shades faring, looks good, but how is the wind protection?
Much better than a Full Size HD Windshield. I have both the 4" and 9 " windshields for the fairing. With the 4 " it is very similar to riding with the HD Low Profile Windshield some wind in the face but not turbulent (buffeting) better protection from below and on the hands. With the 9" windshield no wind on the face I can ride without glasses, protection for hands and body much better than a windshield. It also seems like it is more aerodymanic, my bike seems to be less effected by cross winds ect and at 70 - 90 mph when you ease off the throttle it seems to hold its speed easier , coast better? IWith the windshield it always felt like there was a lot of drag at higher speeds and I could feel more in the handlebars on a windy day than with the fairing.

The following 2 users liked this post by XARAN:
saafrican (12-31-2016), skian (03-01-2017)
Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it - especially the fact it is quick detach. Riding in the winter would be a whole lot nicer I think. Maybe I'll get something like it before next winter.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
bdejong11129
Cruiser

Its a real shame that they cant make it use the stock HD windshield quick disconnect mounts. I already have the QD windshield and while I know I can buy theirs, I already have one and it would be one less thing to buy.

So I asked myself why would you want to go to the HD windshield if the fairing provides the same protection as stated above?

Has anyone done a direct comparison? I dont mind getting it, I like the looks better than the windshield as long as it provides the same amount of wind protection that I currently get. I ride 70+ each day on the highway for work so I like to not have the wind on my chest the whole way!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Snow1989
Intermediate

Looks great. I looked at the Memphis shades also, but decided I wanted the radio and power-plug for my GPS so I went with DragonFlyConcepts. Took a few weeks, but they matched up my paint perfectly.

Attached Thumbnails Installed the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing on the Fatboy-dlx20a1.jpg   Installed the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing on the Fatboy-dlx23a1.jpg   Installed the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing on the Fatboy-dlx22a1.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bdejong11129
Its a real shame that they cant make it use the stock HD windshield quick disconnect mounts. I already have the QD windshield and while I know I can buy theirs, I already have one and it would be one less thing to buy.

So I asked myself why would you want to go to the HD windshield if the fairing provides the same protection as stated above?

Has anyone done a direct comparison? I dont mind getting it, I like the looks better than the windshield as long as it provides the same amount of wind protection that I currently get. I ride 70+ each day on the highway for work so I like to not have the wind on my chest the whole way!
I had the HD Low Profile Smoked Windshield (list price $ 370.00) and I also wanted to find something that used the stoch HD Quick Detach mounts. But after ordering the MS Fairing I wish I had found Memphis Shades before I bought the HD Windshield. The quality of the mounts into the forks are much better , they appear to be made out of a harder plastic or nylon instead of the rubber ones from HD that rot, rip or tear over time and instead of just using bolts to install them the MS system has machined washers and allen bolts out od polished stainless and chrome. (attached picture)

I now have the Fairing which works much better than the windshield and I bought a Memphis Shades Sport Shield for the longer rides in the summer. It looks a lot like a Windvest, no cross bar on the windshield. Both use the same detach system and are on or off in a minute.

If I had known about the Memphis Shades products I would never have bought the HD Windshield. The same size and type of MS windshield will cost you at least $ 100 less.

Attached Thumbnails Installed the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing on the Fatboy-photo.jpg   Installed the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing on the Fatboy-mssportshield.jpg   Installed the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing on the Fatboy-fairing-side.jpg   Installed the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing on the Fatboy-fatboy-bags1-2e1.jpg  

Last edited by XARAN; 02-26-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

flows really good with the bike man, good choice!

Quick Reply: Installed the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing on the Fatboy