Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering an out of state bike in CA

Old 01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering an out of state bike in CA

If I bring a Deluxe into CA from Florida with V&H Double Barrel Long pipes on it, will it still pass the CA emissions?

Last edited by jbg; 01-20-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Does California require emissions testing on motorcycles? I dunno...Here in Washington state we do emissions testing on cars & trucks but not on motorcycles. I to am curious as I plan to move to the "land of fruits & nuts" within the next 5-10 years.

Clay

Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by klaybus
Does California require emissions testing on motorcycles? I dunno...Here in Washington state we do emissions testing on cars & trucks but not on motorcycles. I to am curious as I plan to move to the "land of fruits & nuts" within the next 5-10 years.

Clay
No. There's no smog tests here for bikes. But the web site does say that they do an inspection to see if it's a Ca Emissioned bike. It's supposed to say so on the frame somewhere? Do you know if all Harley's are 50 state bikes? If they are, then that part won't be an issue and all I'll have to worry about is the pipes. And then, need be, I can switch them back to stock for the inspection.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 PM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all Harleys are 50 state legal. On the website under the specs. they even list a $200 charge for California emmissions.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by richmac64
Not all Harleys are 50 state legal. On the website under the specs. they even list a $200 charge for California emmissions.
So what's a guy to do with a non-Californian Harley in California?

Clay

Old 01-20-2009, 11:05 PM
powaypete
Road Master

California requires the following for motorcycles:
NEW - MUST BE BOUGHT IN CALIFORNIA

USED - NO SMOG CHECK REQUIRED !! Must have at least 7,500 miles on it. Mileage is what gets alot of people unless you are active duty Military. Other than that, same as any other state.

PS, you will pay sales tax even though the bike is your's in the first place. $65 for the process fee and 1 years registration (about $180, depending on the value of the bike).

If you are in the miltary, leave it registured in your home state. If not military, Welcome to California where they even tax the weather thru your pay check.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
aal
Cruiser

I just had a non Calif. bike shipped in and got it registered with no problem, but it had over 7,500 miles. You need a vin number check, but that's it. You can get the vin number check either at the CHP or a private vehicle registration service. I used the private service. They charged me $25.00 for the vin check.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Gaslight
6th Gear

I am about to register a 03 Electraglide here in California that I got from Michigan. The bike has less than 7500 miles. Although I beleive it has the emissions sticker on it. I will post up what happens. I am going to start the process tomorrow.

Jake

Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM
kylant
Road Captain

Originally Posted by powaypete
California requires the following for motorcycles:
NEW - MUST BE BOUGHT IN CALIFORNIA

USED - NO SMOG CHECK REQUIRED !! Must have at least 7,500 miles on it. Mileage is what gets alot of people unless you are active duty Military. Other than that, same as any other state.

PS, you will pay sales tax even though the bike is your's in the first place. $65 for the process fee and 1 years registration (about $180, depending on the value of the bike).

this is correct except for the paying sales tax statement. you only have to pay sales tax if you purchased the bike out of state just before registering it in ca. if you have owned it more than 2 months in another state, chances are you have already paid sales tax to that state. they don't double tax you. i have done this several times

you do have to pay higher registration fees than other states, but it is not that bad. they kill you on vehicles though.

my truck was $154 for 4 years in oregon, in ca it was $400 for one year

Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gaslight
I am about to register a 03 Electraglide here in California that I got from Michigan. The bike has less than 7500 miles. Although I beleive it has the emissions sticker on it. I will post up what happens. I am going to start the process tomorrow.

Jake
I read the rules to say that you just need a vehicle emissions sticker for Ca on the bike. Ca does consider the bike "new" with less than 7500 miles, but if it's certified, you can still register it.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

What You Need to Know Before Buying a Vehicle from Out-of-State
The Bottom Line
If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?
Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold to California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. 50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Check the Label
To find out whether a car or truck is California Certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the headset or frame. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Registering an out of state bike in CA