Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Labor to install new rear tire seems high...

Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Labor to install new rear tire seems high...

I have a '08 softail (springer) no bags or anything.The dealer wants 1.5 hrs labor $120 to install a new back tire.I'm not cheap,but that sounds excessive.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Bryanp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why a couple of guys went out and bought their own tire changer. Once you use it 4 or 5 times (depends on which one you buy), it's paid for itself. I usually flip them a few bucks to use it or pay em in beer to do it for me

Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryanp
That's why a couple of guys went out and bought their own tire changer. Once you use it 4 or 5 times (depends on which one you buy), it's paid for itself. I usually flip them a few bucks to use it or pay em in beer to do it for me
GOOD! so im from the raytown area. does this mean i get the same deal. lol just asking

Old 02-20-2009, 02:32 PM
nowbmw
Cruiser

Pull the wheel yourself, buy tire online, and find an independent bike shop to do it, Kawasaki shop on the end of my road charges 30 bucks to mount and balance my tires.

Brent

Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

That's way high for a rear tire change. If you didn't buy the tire from them they may be trying to jack the price up to discourage you from shopping online. The correct charge should be .5 or .6 hours. I've got to agree with the poster above. I bought a Harbor Freight tire changer for $39 on sale and it makes changing tires a piece of cake. I don't even use the top piece and the long bar changer. You don't need them for Harley tires. Just get a couple of long tire irons and some rim protectors and you are in bidness. Tire irons, rim protectors, concrete anchors (to set it up in your garage) and the changer and you are talking maybe $75. If you aren't going to use it regularly you can unbolt it when not needed for extra space. Best of all, use airsoft pellets to balance your tires for the smoothest ride ever.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on DIY (have to check out that HF changer at $39!). Dealer prices vary; gotta pay the overhead and make a profit, too, plus will charge extra for "outside" tires ($10 generally), disposal fees, etc. Biker's Bay in Phoenix will change out for $30 for wheel off bike.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Bryanp
Tourer

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
GOOD! so im from the raytown area. does this mean i get the same deal. lol just asking

um i'l see what we can do ha ha

Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Are you a good mechanic?

If you know what you are doing and you have the tools, you may be able to remove and replace the rear wheel. If not then pay to have it done. 1.5 hours is not too long to change the rear tire. I had my 2007 Softail Custom tire changed last month. It took 2.5 hours and I watched the guy do the work. He did not screw around either.

It all depends on the bike and how much trouble it takes to get the tire off the bike.

On the Custom, you even have to loosen the exhaust to get to one of the bolts out of the brake caliper. The caliper and the associated bracket have to be removed before the rear wheel will come out of the frame. That 200 series tire is a pain to get out of the frame. To get it back in the frame and to get the belt on is no walk in the park either. A standard size tire would undoubtably be easier but the wide tires are a lot of work.

This guy had the bike up on a lift to make it easier. I would hate to think how much trouble it would be to do this on the floor.

If you want to try it yourself, good luck to you.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just paid $40 for a rear tire install, but my guy doesn't sell all that cool Chinese Harley Crap.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

At the very least take the wheel off and take it in to the shop. Last time I mounted the tires with a friend at home with a few spoons and rim protectors. Checking out the Harbor Freight setup now. Which one did you get, the mini tire changer, or the other with the motorcycle attachment? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34552

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Labor to install new rear tire seems high...