Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
von Wolffe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob

I'm about to trade my Nightster up to either a Fat Boy or a Fat Bob ... Of course the dealership doesn't allow a test ride, lame, and looking at the specs they appear to be about the same bike. Except the Fat Boy seems to have more lower end torque (a little), but the Fat Bob looks like it may be more fun in the turns.

Also I really like mids vs. forward controls just because I feel more in control than when stretched out.

And I'm looking for something my girl & I can ride together on for some trips. Combined were about 335 lbs.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

When I decided I wanted a bike last year I initially set my sights on the Rocker or the Fatbob. Never considered Fatboy, I don't remember caring for the floorboards the first time I saw them so maybe that's why? Ended up sitting on a Fatboy one day and that was it. Would not want it without the floorboards now or without the heel-to-toe shifter (which I also thought was weird the first time I saw it.)

Test rides are possible. Each dealer has only a few bikes and your closest dealer may not have the model you like available for test rides but you never know they might? Just have to ask them. Dealer here has a Fatbob with forward controls and I rode it last Oct that's how I know... besides the fact that the GM told me so. Maybe every dealer doesn't participate in that but this one does so I would think that most, if not all, do also?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:49 AM
JR Ryder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I was debating the same thing. I went with the FatBoy. The engines are essentially the same, but the Fat Bob's motor is rubber mounted, and the Fat Boy's has a counter balancer and is rigid mounted. The FatBoy felt bigger to me. I'm about 6'3". I also prefer the hidden suspension on the FatBoy, giving it the look of the old Hard Tails, but prefer the seat and handlebars of the Fat Bob. (I have since changed both on my bike).

It's a tough decision. I have read some reviews that suggest the Fat Bob is a little more fun to ride, and is more nimble.... Good luck with your decision..... JR

Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe it was because I was already use to the floorboards and heel-to-toe shifter but I thought the Fatboy was a more enjoyable and more comfortable ride.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course the dealership doesn't allow a test ride, lame,
Yep, that is lame. And I might keep looking at other dealers if I were you.

I like the Fatboy, have liked it since it's inception and knew (hoped?) that some day I would own one. I don't like the dual lights or the wheels on the Fatbob. Reminds me too much of a metric.

Shakey

Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love softails, mainly Springers. I got rid of a Road King to buy my Crossbones. I ordered pewter Denim, so had to wait for it to come in. While I was waiting I kind of regretted not getting a Fat Bob. I love the cross bones, but that Fat Bob is awesome. I would take it over a Fat Boy.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
pearlandhd
Cruiser

I had the exact same decision last fall. I really like the styling of the Fatbob. I rented both on seperate weekends so I could make my decision. They really are two different bikes.

The Fatbob has more snap when you hit the throttle. I'm 6'2" and I felt too tall for the bob. It is a more sporty bike in the curves and the bars feel really good. I enjoyed the forwards also.

I ride two up often and that's why in ended up choosing the fatboy. Plus, like an earlier poster mentioned, the floorboards really grew on me. If you plan to do much two up for distances, really look hard at the fatboy, your other half will be much happier. IMHO, the Fatboy offers you much more options for making it your own. The Mod's are almost endless.

Call the rental department at you local stealership and ask if you can use both for a one day rental? Usually, you can pick up a bike Friday near close and bring it back Saturday by close for under $200. Pick up one bike on Friday and swap out early Saturday morning for the other. You can probably get them to agree to credit you back the rental charges if you buy a bike within 30 days. Ask for anything and everything.....all they can do is say no!

Even if you don't get to credit the charges back on a new bike, it's worth a few bucks making sure you get the right bike for you.

Good Luck

Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Silver Ghost
Cruiser

If it was just you, the fat bob would do, but if you plan on going on trips with the g/f, I think you would both be happier with the fat boy. But in the end, you have to make the decision, It's going to your bike, and you have to live with it.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
von Wolffe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silver Ghost
If it was just you, the fat bob would do, but if you plan on going on trips with the g/f, I think you would both be happier with the fat boy.
okay ... but why do you say this? Looking for solid reason why people find one bike more appealing than the other.

THX!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Called2Duty
Road Captain

2 completely dif bikes, Fat boys a little more practical and will satisfy the mature person in you, the fat bob with its more custom (not that fat boys cant be customized look through the pics) and aggresive nature will satisfy that inner teen.
two years ago bought a 07 deuce when I wanted a Train, Thank god I got a smokin deal on a trade cause i never quit wanting that Train till last week when I got her

Just my two cents

Attached Thumbnails Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob-dsc00181.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob