Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult is changing fuel filter on '03 heritage classic

Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult is changing fuel filter on '03 heritage classic

Im flipping through my service and parts manuals getting ready to order parts for my spring maintenance.
I want to change the fuel filter and looking at the service manual I cant really tell really tell how much of a hassle it will be to do, seems simple enough to swap out but im wondering how hard it is to actually get to.

So if anyone has replaced one before let me know, im not a super mechanic but I am fairly competent.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd3
Im flipping through my service and parts manuals getting ready to order parts for my spring maintenance.
I want to change the fuel filter and looking at the service manual I cant really tell really tell how much of a hassle it will be to do, seems simple enough to swap out but im wondering how hard it is to actually get to.

So if anyone has replaced one before let me know, im not a super mechanic but I am fairly competent.
If your bike is FI, the filter is a part of the pump assembly, which is inside the fuel tank. About a year ago, I swapped my bodywork for a different color, so I had to swap all the fuel pump/filter guts. In hindsight what a friggin' pain in the @ss !!!! It's REAL tight trying to extract the pump assembly out of the tank, and there is a plastic arm that need to be "dis-jointed" to allow the assembly to be removed. If you get too aggresive forcing the pump assembly out, you will bend the bracket, then the pump won't fit correctly when you go to assemble. They explain how to do it in the HD service manuall, but it took me hours to actually figure it all out. I won't bother doing the job again. I will just take it to a dealer and pay them the $70.. IMO

Old 03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
LS1 WS6
Intermediate

When I swapped my tins I asked the dealer about a new fuel filter and he said you can't change it since it is part of the pump assembly. He said I would need to buy a new fuel pump in order to have a new filter. That is on a fuel injected model.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 WS6
When I swapped my tins I asked the dealer about a new fuel filter and he said you can't change it since it is part of the pump assembly. He said I would need to buy a new fuel pump in order to have a new filter. That is on a fuel injected model.

HE lied to you... you CAN change the fuel filter. But it does mean removing the fuel pump from the tank. Yes, its a pain in the backside. I just re-installed one a couple weeks ago after having the tank painted. I replaced the filter, all the hoses, clamps, gaskets and screws as recommended. It'll cost you about 60.00+ in parts alone.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:00 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

ewwwwwwww
well I geuss maybe I wont be replacing it
Bikes got about 43K on it, any idea on how long a filter lasts?
I use sea-foam now and then if that does anything for the filter i dont know

Old 03-20-2009, 05:25 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd3
ewwwwwwww
well I geuss maybe I wont be replacing it
Bikes got about 43K on it, any idea on how long a filter lasts?
I use sea-foam now and then if that does anything for the filter i dont know
43k !!!!!!! Your about 33K overdue.... Get that filter changed, if your filter gets overly clogged, it will start to stress out your fuel pump as well..