Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Mile Service Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 AM
kavants
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 Mile Service Cost?

Well its time for the 1000 mile service on my 09 Deluxe. I have a couple of questions for the all knowing forum.

How much should it cost?
What all is going to be done to the bike?
How critical is it for warranty concerns?
Is it something that I can do if I get a service manual?

I am a pretty mechanical guy, so the work itself should not be a problem. Not trying to be cheap, just that my dealer is 3 hrs away. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
hellfish
Tourer

They quoted me $275 but charged me $350 - go figure

Don't remember what is all done, but its quite a bit from tightening spokes to adjusting clutch to oil and all that. Word of advice, learn how to adjust your clutch yourself (just in case you dont know) - it could feel like a totally different bike when you get it back, mine did.

Last edited by hellfish; 04-14-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

They do all the requirements in your manual.
Charged me $275, but I choice the synthetic oil which was $50 more.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 PM
hellfish
Tourer

Originally Posted by CruzN
They do all the requirements in your manual.
Charged me $275, but I choice the synthetic oil which was $50 more.
ahhh, that explains it!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The service was cheaper for me at the dealer I bought it from was like $150 or something. But I would assume around $250 is average. List is below of what they do at each service interval.

For warranty. If you do everything yourself, make sure you have receipts for the parts you bought then there should not be an issue. Does not have to be done at the dealer. Getting a service manual for the bike, will do you a lot of good in the long run. After I got the 5K done by HD, I do everything myself now. Take the money an invest in some decent tools, the service manual, and you are just as strong as the dealer who hired a fresh guy out of school to work on your bike because they dont want to pay techs anything good. There are some good techs, you just have to find them, and find one you trust. Independent HD mechanic in my eyes, is the better way to go. They are more honest and upfront, and usually the most experience because the only person at their shop that works on bikes with years of experience. Again building trust is key.

Last edited by jknowlton; 04-14-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
kavants
Cruiser

I have the tools, and saw the owner's manual. I was just unsure if there was anything else special they were looking at. I am thinking I may just do it myself. Was kinda worried about warranty, but half of the stuff they are supposed to inspect I have replaced with aftermarket anyway. Do you all use the synthetic for all fluids?

BTW. great pic jknowlton!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually called HD over this issue. They told me that it was no problem that a indy performed the service as long as i had dates and reciepts of what was done. So if you just log everything and keep records you will be fine. So i was told. I paid my indy $25.00 for service + $75.00 fluids(HD-synthetic)/filter. $100 bucks isn't bad. I called my local dealer and they wanted $300.00.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I got my selling Stealer to throw it in on deal of purchase before I would buy. They have alot of room to deal reguardless of what they want to make you think.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Should run around $350 though I've never paid for it myself. Wife got her first service included and that was the stated "value".

As far as what they do, who knows. What they "say" they do is the required service per the manual.

As long as you document your own service, use recommended grades of lube, and keep your receipts I can't see any warranty issues.

I figure if I'm going to have a vehicle for along time I may as well get to know it better by doing as much of my own work as possible. It's not rocket science but you do need a service manual and a good set of tools.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

about 300 here, it is important as they will check for all loose bolts and safety things. I had mine trown in as part of the bike purchase. I have done all my own service after that one except safety related like steering head and tire change.

Quick Reply: 1000 Mile Service Cost?