Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I come across pinion shaft runout allot!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crush63
One of the the things I'm looking into to help prevent runout induced oil pump damage is the new R&R billet cam plate. There was a great article in American Iron. It actually helps support the flywheel assembly and stablizes the pinion shaft. The only downside is it's expensive and requires the use of one of R&R's gear drive cams.
Harley has covered their butts in the warranty department by raising flywheel end-play specs the last few years. End play specs went from .005 in 2006 to .010 in 2007 to .013 in 2009. My guess is that H-D are counting on most twin cam owners breaking 24 months before racking up enough miles to encounter engine damage (oil pump, cam plate) due to this problem. Pretty shabby treatment consitering H-D customers are some of the most brand loyal customers in the world.

2009 Night Train
Rush 2.0 mufflers
SE A/C
SEPRT
I could never get warranty because I ONLY had .009 runout. At the time it had to hit .012. Now you say it's .013. Just think of the poor sob that gets their runout checked and it's only .012 Don't matter any more as my warranty is over anyway, so I'm stuck with it. Their short term plan was succesfull, however they won't be ever selling me a new HD again with the underhanded approach the company used regarding looking after the bad cranks.
The golden rule of .003 max was there for a reason and the reason still exists. Adding .010 over that is just fkg stupid and will lead to gut busting laughter if mentioned to any one knowledgable with cranks. As far as I'm concerned MoCo shot themselves in the foot with greed and lack of correct action on their part.
Ron

Old 05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.013??? You would think the thing would be on the verge of catastrophic failure at that point....Day-Um.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:40 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
.013??? You would think the thing would be on the verge of catastrophic failure at that point....Day-Um.
I would think anything over .005 the engine is living on borrowed time. The oil pump that is and when it grenades the debri pretty much makes a tear down neccessary for the rest of the engine.
Ron

Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 PM
crush63
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

rbabos I feel for you man! I'm almost afraid to have mine checked but I am going to do it soon at a local indy shop. It may not have -009 runout but I'd be suprised if it has less then .005. I can see a welded crank and timkin upgrade in my future. It's pure B.S that you have to spend 3k fixing a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. For the 16K + I spent on the bike it should be rock solid the way it is. I feel extra stupid cause I traded a 08 Night Rod Special for this bike! Don't get me wrong, I love my night train but H-D is the perfect example of corporate greed.

2009 Night Train
Rush 2.0 mufflers
SE A/C
SEPRT

Old 05-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crush63
rbabos I feel for you man! I'm almost afraid to have mine checked but I am going to do it soon at a local indy shop. It may not have -009 runout but I'd be suprised if it has less then .005. I can see a welded crank and timkin upgrade in my future. It's pure B.S that you have to spend 3k fixing a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. For the 16K + I spent on the bike it should be rock solid the way it is. I feel extra stupid cause I traded a 08 Night Rod Special for this bike! Don't get me wrong, I love my night train but H-D is the perfect example of corporate greed.

2009 Night Train
Rush 2.0 mufflers
SE A/C
SEPRT
dude you think your 09 have the problem with that?

Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Hammer107
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sash302
I cant believe harley know this problem and still sale the bikes like that ,that is stupid!this is my first harley I ever own and if I have problem like that I'll junk that mother f*&%^$ and never gonna buy another harley again,this bikes are not chip to be having a problems like that...........crazy.....
Calm down sparky....for 99.9% of HDs out there, this is not an issue. You will find that just about any issue with an HD takes on a life of it's own on this board.

People will be perfectly happy with their bike, it will run fine, they will be happy and then they read some post from someone about some issue they have and all of a sudden the paranoia kicks in. Now every tick or ting out of your bike convinces you that you too have that affliction. This oil pump is a good example. We don't see tons of owners that have blown it up....but we see tons of people complaining about their end play and how horribly Harley treats them. If it's such a big issue, why isn't this wide spread? It's a perfect example of a problem that takes on a life of it's own.

Harley's make noise. They tick, they ting, they get hot, they clunk etc. It doesn't mean they are junk, it doesn't mean something is wrong with them. It means that it's an air cooled, pushrod driven engine sitting between your legs with no sound deadener or insulation between you and it.

It's not a car, don't expect it to sound or act like one.

JMHO.

Last edited by Hammer107; 05-30-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior

I was in the dealer today and talk to one of the techs there about this problem,this is what hi said:
I haven't see any 08 and 09 with that problem,I late 06 and 07 models we have few of them,but I haven't see anything lately,and hi also said that problem even with 06 and 07 very rear.........
this is what the teac said....

Old 05-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hammer107
Calm down sparky....for 99.9% of HDs out there, this is not an issue. You will find that just about any issue with an HD takes on a life of it's own on this board.

People will be perfectly happy with their bike, it will run fine, they will be happy and then they read some post from someone about some issue they have and all of a sudden the paranoia kicks in. Now every tick or ting out of your bike convinces you that you too have that affliction.

Harley's make noise. They tick, they ting, they get hot, they clunk etc. It doesn't mean they are junk, it doesn't mean something is wrong with them. It means that it's an air cooled, pushrod driven engine sitting between your legs with no sound deadener or insulation between you and it.

O no dude don't get me wrong I don't think that the Harley's are junk,I just tough that this was a bad factory design part and they do nothing to fix the problem,that **** is me right of ,is just wrong if is like that.
BECAUSE:there is a people just like my self and many others, that have a big passion for motorcycles in this case HARLEY DAVITSON and thy was saving the money for long time to be able to buy one, and thy are not chip,just like privies member said for that money thy should be rock solid.I just hope that I am not gonna see so many members here that having problems with their bikes.
good luck to all and ride safe!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer107

People will be perfectly happy with their bike, it will run fine, they will be happy and then they read some post from someone about some issue they have and all of a sudden the paranoia kicks in. Now every tick or ting out of your bike convinces you that you too have that affliction. This oil pump is a good example. We don't see tons of owners that have blown it up....but we see tons of people complaining about their end play and how horribly Harley treats them. If it's such a big issue, why isn't this wide spread? It's a perfect example of a problem that takes on a life of it's own.

JMHO.
+1......

Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Has my 07 run out checked at cam install, Wrench said I mine was .003. Definitely good to go..
18+k on her now...

I have read the two hardest things on B motor is (1).burnout. (2). high rpm downshift. where motor goes from Idle to 5.5k rpm;s or 5.5k rpm to idle quick,,

Last edited by oct1949; 05-30-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added

Quick Reply: I come across pinion shaft runout allot!!!!