Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jockey shift guys...Question for ya?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shift Pawl/ Shift Arm play.

So my bike is in pieces as I'm knee deep in not only a bar swap to a set of mini-apes but a Jockey shifter setup as well.

I'm installing the LaBriola LA Jockey unit....

Ya know I can remember dickin' around with shift rods and modding my old evo heritage years ago and cant remeber how much play is acceptable in the shift rod that actually comes up outta the tranny.

This 5 speed twinkie is a sloppy bitch.

At the base of the rod there is enough side to side slop to equate into a good inch at the end of the jockey shift rod giving the rod itself a slightly sloppy feel.

I tourqued the shift rod to the shift arm correctly and then pulled it back off double checked that the play was coming from the stubby trans rod itself and the reinstalled...Sloppy side to side movement. Comes from the rod.

The bike aint wore out by any means sheese its hardly broke in with 15K on the bike....

Fresh tranny fluid...Yada..Yada..yada.

Assuming that play is built in to reduce potential kinking of a standard shift rod attached to a foot shifter.....Have you other guys got that same sloppy bit of side to side play in your shift arm coming out of the tranny? Its attached to the shift pawl.

Last edited by Chazmanian; 06-20-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Edited title...Looking for a second thought on this issue!!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:18 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It'll be fine... lol I don't know man... Mine is pretty solid on the up and down.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No slop at all in my tank Shift. But that wasn't the questionwas it.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by story808
It'll be fine... lol I don't know man... Mine is pretty solid on the up and down.
The shaft coming out of the tranny is connected to the shift pawl.

That shaft is soild as a rock front to back or following the shift pattern, If the shifter is in the shifting postion it has no lay whatsoever. But when in the center position say after a shift it has about 1/2" of up and down movement as if there is either a designed in amount of play or my shaft output bushings are worn down and non exsistant!

The bike shifts fine.

So my question is that stubby arm coming out of the tranny. Is there any up an down or say 12:00 to 6:00 movement on y'alls output shafts when the shifter is in its centered position?

Mine has no play shifting into gears and I can tell the pawl and pawl spring are good. Its if there is an amount of inherent play designed into the bushing that the shaft rides on coming out of the tranny?

Bluntly does your shifter have a slightly wobbly feeling to it?

Old 06-20-2009, 09:09 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude!!! had the same exact issue when we installed one on my buddys fatty. first, i hope you have thrown out the chrome death screw that comes with the kit that screw kept messin us up...we thought it was bolted down but with all the chrome on the sscrew it wouldn't but up.

my buddys was loose, we got a new (non chrome) screw, and i think we might have reversed the way it went inn (if that makes sense to you, switched where the head goes)....

we thought that the loose shifter arm was the way it was supposed to be too, IT WAS NOT, keepin that loose for too long can strip the shaft and then yr fizzzzucked.

it shouldn't move

hope that helps

Old 06-20-2009, 09:13 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

does it???

Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by old skool1983
dude!!! had the same exact issue when we installed one on my buddys fatty. first, i hope you have thrown out the chrome death screw that comes with the kit that screw kept messin us up...we thought it was bolted down but with all the chrome on the sscrew it wouldn't but up.

my buddys was loose, we got a new (non chrome) screw, and i think we might have reversed the way it went inn (if that makes sense to you, switched where the head goes)....

we thought that the loose shifter arm was the way it was supposed to be too, IT WAS NOT, keepin that loose for too long can strip the shaft and then yr fizzzzucked.

it shouldn't move

hope that helps
Chrome Death screw +1

Went back outside prior to reading yer' post and removed the entire shaft. Pulled the "Chrome Death Screw:....Ummm that muthafvcker isnt the right size!!

I look down behind my primary...Fvck me. Shavings.

Hands a shaking I slather the stock bolt in bluelocktite imagining the absolute hassle of having to pull the primary and replace the stripped out shifter arm....

Hmmm stock bolt went right back in?

Tightened her down....Honestly it took herculian force to get it set and snugged.

Shifter is tight...Bolt is in.

Fvck. I wont stop thinking about that fvcked off shifter arm and those shavings until I actually pull the primary and replace it.

I cant believe Rick would put the wrong bolt in the kit...I'm honestly shocked. I'm a local. I picked up my kit in person visted with Rick and looked at all his little projects and even left with the "Official LA Jockey 5 Speed suicide long sleeve riding shirt"

Only to be burnt by a missized bolt>

That I was in too much of a hurry to check?

I'm fvcking pissed!!

Shifter is tight though....Gawd damn it feels good. Cant wait to ride it!!

Fvckin' Rick, I know he knows that screw is an issue...That screw aint going in nobodys shifter arm right. Aint no way. I'm calling his *** on Monday. He will probably hang up on me.....

The stocker is shorter.....

Old School ya' think I ought to pull it back out and put a slightly longer one in? The thing is tight now....Scared to fvck with it again!! Maybe the shavings down in that pit were chrome off that chitty bolt?

Last edited by Chazmanian; 06-20-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM
SavannahBob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta ask this. Is it just for the "coolness" factor, or am I missing' something?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:11 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Chrome Death screw +1

Went back outside prior to reading yer' post and removed the entire shaft. Pulled the "Chrome Death Screw:....Ummm that muthafvcker isnt the right size!!

I look down behind my primary...Fvck me. Shavings.

Hands a shaking I slather the stock bolt in bluelocktite imagining the absolute hassle of having to pull the primary and replace the stripped out shifter arm....

Hmmm stock bolt went right back in?

Tightened her down....Honestly it took herculian force to get it set and snugged.

Shifter is tight...Bolt is in.

Fvck. I wont stop thinking about that fvcked off shifter arm and those shavings until I actually pull the primary and replace it.

I cant believe Rick would put the wrong bolt in the kit...I'm honestly shocked. I'm a local. I picked up my kit in person visted with Rick and looked at all his little projects and even left with the "Official LA Jockey 5 Speed suicide long sleeve riding shirt"

Only to be burnt by a missized bolt>

That I was in too much of a hurry to check?

I'm fvcking pissed!!

Shifter is tight though....Gawd damn it feels good. Cant wait to ride it!!

Fvckin' Rick, I know he knows that screw is an issue...That screw aint going in nobodys shifter arm right. Aint no way. I'm calling his *** on Monday. He will probably hang up on me.....

The stocker is shorter.....

Old School ya' think I ought to pull it back out and put a slightly longer one in? The thing is tight now....Scared to fvck with it again!! Maybe the shavings down in that pit were chrome off that chitty bolt?

JMO but, don't call or go see rick man, its not his fault, when a bolt is chromed it fudges up the threads, nothin anyone can do about that short of re-taping every screw he gets. He is a good dude, my bud had a great communication with him and i recently bought one for my sporty and he seemed cool with me too.

my guess is those shavings are from the chrome, i'll bet yr shifter shaft is just fine, my bud road his for a week or two before we figured out what was going on and he has never had a problem since, deffinetly leave her be and enjoy that thing, jockey shiftin is so much fun.

post some pics of her out in the sun

Quick Reply: Jockey shift guys...Question for ya?