Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6000k Bi-xenon HID kit installed on my Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:36 PM
speedsnice
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6000k Bi-xenon HID kit installed on my Rocker

I installed a bi-xenon HID kit today on my 09 Rocker, the high beam function still works from the handlebar switch.
I played around with the kit and I was able to hide the ballast under the gas tank, it turned out to be a clean install.

Check out Howard at www.Motorcyclemetal.com if you are interested in a kit.

Last edited by speedsnice; 07-03-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM
speedsnice
Tourer

I took my Rocker out for a ride last night, the HID set up makes a huge difference. I can actually see the road now

Last edited by speedsnice; 07-03-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the link. i know nothing about electrical and lighting man. how's the install on this thing? is the wiring a pain in the ***? do you even need to re-wire anything?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:14 PM
cammy5477
Road Captain

that kit looks quality
great link speedsnice top man

Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post, my lowbeam just burned out and I want a better replacement. I will start saving my pennies for this kit. I am curious if the headlight remains waterproof?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Toneaero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedsnice
I installed a bi-xenon HID kit today on my 09 Rocker, the high beam function still works from the handlebar switch.
I played around with the kit and I was able to hide the ballast under the gas tank, it turned out to be a clean install.
Does the bi-xenon bulb "move" for the high beam? How well does that work? Did you double sided taped the ballast to the tank?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:19 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Might want to check out the legality of the "retrofit kits" before you install them.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-kits.htm
http://www.hella-press.de/search_det...e=e&newdir=eng

Last edited by silvrbill; 07-06-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's much brighter and probably illuminates the road better, but without replacing the optics, which were designed for a different type of bulb, how is the light dispersal pattern on the road? Are you blinding oncoming traffic? Effective HID systems have a projector lens which is designed to properly place the light pattern from the bulb onto the road:

Using the stock optics only grants you the brighter, whiter light but does not place the proper pattern on the road. This is the reason I've not put in an HID kit like this. I'm not slamming your install, that is not my intention at all so please don't take this that way.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Goodlife (12-15-2016)
Old 07-06-2009, 05:56 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default The Truth

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
I know it's much brighter and probably illuminates the road better, but without replacing the optics, which were designed for a different type of bulb, how is the light dispersal pattern on the road? Are you blinding oncoming traffic? Effective HID systems have a projector lens which is designed to properly place the light pattern from the bulb onto the road:

Using the stock optics only grants you the brighter, whiter light but does not place the proper pattern on the road. This is the reason I've not put in an HID kit like this. I'm not slamming your install, that is not my intention at all so please don't take this that way.
I am going to have to jump in here and stop this misinformation.
  1. "I know it's much brighter and probably illuminates the road better, but without replacing the optics, which were designed for a different type of bulb,"
    1. A quality kit had a converter on the bulb that reflects and aims the light onto the lamp for proper light focus pattern. The cheap e-Bay stuff may not.
  2. Are you blinding oncoming traffic?
    1. No, does cars blind other cars? Not all headlights are projection.
  3. Effective HID systems have a projector lens which is designed to properly place the light pattern from the bulb onto the road:
    1. This is not true. Please do some research and reading on this site and it will dispel the aforementioned statement. There is one of my customers who have posted both the side by side identical bikes of both light patterns and the result of both. Read and do your research decide!
  4. Using the stock optics only grants you the brighter, whiter light but does not place the proper pattern on the road.
    1. If you purchase a cheap kit available through sellers who are here today and gone tomorrow, this may be possible. My suggestion would be to stay off of e-Bay and talk to someone who actually works in motorcycles with HID. There are reasons why you can buy a kit for $20.00 and there are reasons why you can buy a HD MOCO kit for $500.
The bulb and lamp above is a really nice unit except for the fact it would take too much money to manufacture fixtures (buckets) to hold them on a motorcycle. Of course they would need to be tester for durability. At the moment I am not willing to manufacture buckets for them. They are glued into automobile headlights when you remove the lamp external lens. I have purchased a pair of the fixtures above for testing. Maybe one day I'll do something with them.

Danial Stern puts out this BS concerning lamps and patterns. I have as well as many members have posted photos of their HID in their bike. A little reading and more knowledge is needed. I will re-post a couple of previous photos that were provided by our members and there are over 100 threads from actual members who have done this very thing..

Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good post, it would be nice to see the road at night, may have to put one in. how is the heat factor?

Quick Reply: 6000k Bi-xenon HID kit installed on my Rocker