Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker windshield tests

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:59 PM
RockerBob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rocker windshield tests

OK, this post is about windshields on a Rocker. I know, I know, it's like **** on a bull, why buy a Rocker if you want a windshield, yadda, yadda, yadda (can anyone tell I read all the Rocker windshield threads recently?).

But anyway, I only have one bike right now and I want to take some longer freeway rides. I like to wear a half helmet and I don't really like bugs and rocks in my face at 75 mph. So I want a windshield that I clip on for long rides, and maybe take off when I get where I'm going to do some cruising.

I read a lot of mixed reviews of the two HD windshield options and couldn't really find any good pics, so I decided to experiment.

I'll start off by saying that my bike has a 2" tank lift and a Danny Gray Solo seat, both of which affect the aerodynamics. I'm 6' 1" tall and with the Danny Gray I probably sit 2-3" lower than the stock seat. So if anything my results below are probably best-case.

First I tried the "low profile" version (HD 57253-08). I have to say that it *looked* a hell of a lot better than I expected. It's more of a sport fairing than a windshield really. But when I road tested it, it was absolutely terrible. I got buffeting on the shoulders and chest at low-to-medium speeds (where without the windshield I had no wind pressure at all). At freeway speeds the buffeting moved right up to my face, about chin to forehead. It was much worse than the normal pressure you feel at that speed with no windshield. And I got the strong feeling that any rocks or bugs that would have gotten me in the chest before would be heading right to my face. So that was pretty much a failure in every way.

I took it back to the shop and they were happy to trade me for the standard-height version (HD 57251-08). This one surprisingly didn't look as bad as I thought it would either. On the road test I'd say it was about the same as no windshield at low-to-medium speeds. On the freeway it behaved similar to the low profile version, but moved the buffeting up to the forehead area. You could still definitely feel it, probably about comparable to the pressure with no windshield. But no wind at all hit my body, and I felt like things coming at me would probably be going mostly over the top of my helmet instead of in my face.

I will say that I didn't notice any handling problems with either windshield, which was a concern because I'd read that in a magazine review and one online post. I'm not sure that I like the tall windshield, but I'm going to keep it for now, put some miles on it, and see how I like it over time. I'll report back in a month or two.

But the short windshield, I honestly have no idea what that could be for. Maybe if you wore a full face and wanted to keep the wind and debris off of your chest, but it will definitely not shield your face, and if anything will throw more wind and debris at it. And if you're on a stock seat it would be even worse. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

The standard height windshield might have the same problems if you are on a stock seat or if you are a taller rider. In my case I think it's kind of working.

And yeah, they're a little ugly, but as the parts guy said "that's why they're detachable".

Anyway, hope that helps anyone thinking about windshields on a rocker.

Pics of both windshields attached.

RockerBob

Attached Thumbnails Rocker windshield tests-low_1.jpg   Rocker windshield tests-low_3.jpg   Rocker windshield tests-std_1.jpg   Rocker windshield tests-std_3.jpg  
Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Toneaero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice tests. The buffeting was unbareable when I had the stock trick seat and standard height windshield. Ever since I switched out the trick seat with a FXCW seat, I sit about 1.5-2" lower so the buffeting went away. The biggest things I noticed besides less chest pounding wind was how much quieter it was on the freeway going 80mph than without the shield. +1 for long, fast trips. BTW, im about 5'8".

Old 07-13-2009, 10:09 PM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review, thanks!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:31 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ended up getting that shorter one.....its okay but I cannot formulate an opinion about it because I dont really notice anything except wind blockage to my chest area.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Rocker_C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the taller windshield and it was really bad the way it blew at my face. I went back to HD and they said that is the only one besides the short one. I then went to a local discount motorcycle parts shop and with the help on the owner I ordered an after market Memphis Shades glass only WS $80. I modified it to fit on the quick release hardware. I just got back from a 3200 mile 10 day trip and it was great.

Attached Thumbnails Rocker windshield tests-turing-rocker-003.jpg  

Last edited by Rocker_C; 07-13-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 PM
bikermike2
Tourer

tombtone.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I ve been thinking about those windshields but have not done that yet, most of my riding is wearing a full face helmet anyway. Taking my third haul of this year down to the gulf come Friday, hadn't really had a problem riding on tripe's of 350 miles are so on the FXCWC.
Nice review tho...........

Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 PM
lepack
Advanced

Good review. I've been looking at a Rifle replacement windshield.
http://www.rifle.com/stores/showdetl...ent-Windshield

They come in 3 sizes and fit the rocker windshield hardware. Anybody have one?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take that ugly piece of **** windshield off your Rocker NOW!

I really am just kidding - who am I to judge anyone else's bike?
For you guys with the windshields, how is it looking through the lexan/plexiglas? That's the part I think would bother me more than the looks.

By the way, nice looking bike!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Buddhahead
Advanced

In this case, being short (5'6") is an advantage. I opted for the taller HD version after seeing the shorty. Although the shorty looks better, the taller version eliminated the windage and buffetting on the freeway. I use a 3/4 helmet when travelling any distance, so rocks and bugs are not a problem...just need the pressure off my chest. Recently, I took a 3 day 1500 mile trip to Fresno with no ill effect.

Quick Reply: Rocker windshield tests