Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Chain Kit for TC88 - HD or Andrews??

Old 07-14-2009, 06:20 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cam Chain Kit for TC88 - HD or Andrews??

Hey Gang,

I need some advice on new cams and the new cam chain tensioner systems from HD and Andrews for an 04 Fat Boy (TC88, 95ci, 251 cams, SE lifters, heavy duty valve springs, adj push-rods).

My SE lifters seized and destroyed my cams. I am considering HD's new hydraulic cam chain tensioner kit (part no. 25284-08) -OR- the Andrews Hydraulic Roller Chain Conversion kit. As for cams, I am considering Andrews' 54N or 55N grinds.

I spoke with an Andrews rep. He said Andrew's new roller chain cam tension conversion kit contains the 'exact' same parts that are now in all '09 TC96 motors. The one exception is that the "inner" cam bores are .875 on the 'N-series' cams used in this kit to accomodate that bore size in the TC88 motos. He said if I order the corresponding '09 HD cam parts and oil pump for an '09 TC96, it is exactly the same as the Andrews conversion kit, and will work with Andrews N-cams.

With regards to cam grinds, Andrews recommended the 54N over the 55N for my motor. He said I'll get a little more high-end pull and less low-end pull from the 55N (2600-6200 RPM) vs. the 54N cam (2200-5600).

Can anyone confirm that the corresponding Harley cam parts and oil pump for a '09 TC96 motor is the same as the Andrew's roller chain conversion?

Is there any problem with either cam above for my bike?

Where can I get the best pricing on Andrew's cams? Zanotti??

Any and all advice much appreciated...
Regards

Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With an 04' your not going to have any issues with your crank runout most likely so why waste money on improving the chain drive system when you can just as easily convert to gear drive?

Concerning cams, and a 95" engine with a 4" stroke I would seriously consider cams from Tman, Cycle-rama or Woods which are know performers. ANdrews cams are OK, but like their SE counterparts there are much better grinds out there to be had. Things you want to look for in a cam thats best suited for the 4" stroke TC engine are cams with overlap around 28-36 degrees, and an intake closing point of around 35-45. This will put your powerband's strength in the 2-5k range which is right where you want it. The timing specs/overlap is whats important choosing a cam grind for the street.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:05 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by GunmetalBlueNT
With an 04' your not going to have any issues with your crank runout most likely so why waste money on improving the chain drive system when you can just as easily convert to gear drive?

Concerning cams, and a 95" engine with a 4" stroke I would seriously consider cams from Tman, Cycle-rama or Woods which are know performers. ANdrews cams are OK, but like their SE counterparts there are much better grinds out there to be had. Things you want to look for in a cam thats best suited for the 4" stroke TC engine are cams with overlap around 28-36 degrees, and an intake closing point of around 35-45. This will put your powerband's strength in the 2-5k range which is right where you want it. The timing specs/overlap is whats important choosing a cam grind for the street.

What year(s) are the crank runout an issue. Safe to say my 00 and my wife's 03 are good? I've thought about converting to Geardrive.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 PM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
What year(s) are the crank runout an issue. Safe to say my 00 and my wife's 03 are good? I've thought about converting to Geardrive.
The crank runout started to be a major issue when Harley went to the TC96 platform. Your 00' and 03' most likely is just fine.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cranks on 02 and earlier are forged and thus have fewer runout issues. The cranks 03 and later are not, therefore they have greater tolerances, and more runout. I'm not positive on the 96" being the only ones with problems. I have read on here of guys with runout issues on pre 07 bikes, but I believe they are more prominent on 07 and newer.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:17 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

So, not all the changes are improvements (sounds familiar)
Thanks for that good info. I know lots of guys are running pre-07 95" motors and are very happy with them. I'll bet a 95" w/gear drive (510's?) and a Mikuni 42 would rip pretty good. T/H exhaust and an SE ovd 6 sp.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GunmetalBlueNT

Well said,

Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
heavypic
Tourer

Bump...Please see my original post here...

Can anyone confirm that the Andrews hydraulic chain kit is essentially the same parts that are installed in 09 Harley TC96s. Andrews said they are identical except for the 'inner' cam bore which are a smaller diameter on TC88s

Andrews recommended buying their kit or buying the 2009, TC96 component parts for the HD hydraulic cam tension system and the newer HD high-cap oil pump. Their N-series cams have the larger outer bore of the TC96s and will fit the Andrews kit or the corresponding 2009 HD parts, according to Andrews.

Can anyone confirm?? I need to order parts asap so I can get my bike outta the shop and on the road.

Thanks All

Regards

Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Will send you a pm of another site that is very helpful when it comes to anything engine related.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
heavypic
Tourer

Thanks KumaRide...I look for it

Regards

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Chain Kit for TC88 - HD or Andrews??