Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many engine oil drain plugs are there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 PM
jmpinell
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was tryin to change my tranny oil for first time, 2003 fatboy, thought the plug under the motor was the drain plug was the right one. i now know the tranny drain plug is between the shocks, wen i drained the incorrect plug a few ounces or more drained out. where did this oil come from?

Old 03-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Walt Osier
Stage I

Originally Posted by burchis
Thanks for that information, this is what I kind of thought.

I noticed that the oil was black after I drove around the block and then check the oil level. I realized that I must not of drained all of the old oil out.

There must be another reason why this other plug is there and the manual does not refer to it when draining the oil. Maybe something to do with the oil pump loosing it's prime if all of the oil is drained out.

Anyone else have an opinion?
you can drain another quart or a little more by removing the return line from the oil tank after draining and refilling. Conect a hose to the line. Crank the engine with plugwires off 10 revolutions. Then change oil filter. Crank another 30 revolutions.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Thomas F
Stage I
Default Uhh, did I screw up?

So I recently inherited my fathers 01 Softail. While doing the first oil change I did as I read a few others have, pulled the Crank plug. Only a few Oz's came out before I realized my mistake. I successfully managed to get it back in and re torqued. But do I need to refill it or is there a way to check the level inside? Might be a stupid question but if I don't ask I won't learn.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Next time you do an oil change use a 5/8" socket instead of an allen wrench, that way you won`t be able to remove the case drain (it doesn`t have a hex head).

Don`t worry about the level of oil in the crankcase, it will be fine.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:05 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas F
So I recently inherited my fathers 01 Softail. While doing the first oil change I did as I read a few others have, pulled the Crank plug. Only a few Oz's came out before I realized my mistake. I successfully managed to get it back in and re torqued. But do I need to refill it or is there a way to check the level inside? Might be a stupid question but if I don't ask I won't learn.
Your Softail is a dry sump system. The oil is contained in the oil tank. It is gravity fed to the feed side of the oil pump which pumps it through the engine. After it does its thing, it drains into the bottom of the engine where it is sucked out by the scavenging side of the oil pump and pushed back into the tank. Any oil remaining in the actual engine crankcase is there because it is below the pickup of the oil return side of things. You don't need to check that oil level. The only time oil left over in the bottom end is a problem is when it gets past the check valve and drains the oil tank into the engine. And even then all that usually happens is that it pukes some out, and puts the rest back into the tank. The puke-out, if it happens at all, will be just enough to tick you off.

I don't know about the newer engines, but in past days there were "drain" plugs at various points that were used for access during machining and other reasons. It was not uncommon to find the "drain" plug on the bottom of the crankcase to have been cross-threaded, stripped out, or tightened too much so that it cracked the relatively thin aluminum in that area. I, of course, had to learn that the hard way. My first bike had to be welded up in 14 places when I had the engine rebuilt. Some of the repairs were my fault, some were stress-related, and some were from playing Hot Rod Harry and blowing the trapdoor and lower right rear of the transmission case.