Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM
DosDiablos
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous Brackets

Has anyone ever seen 10 or 12oz nitrous bottle brackets that utilize the rear fender/strut bolts?

In other words, so they would sit horizontal on each side of the rear fender.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
BigJoeNY
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most 10 and 12 oz bottles that I have come across are gravity feed type and need to be positioned with the valve facing downward. So horizontal along struts would be out. If you do find a way to strut mount be sure to get a siphon feed type bottle. If the bottles are for show than usability doesn't matter. Chrome hose clamps will work.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Schaub85
Road Master

n2o is compressed gas, why would it need to be facing down?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 AM
DoobieBrother
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Schaub85
I'd have to say because you lose some pressure as you use it. Notice most every drag car you see has the bottle tilted with valve facing back of the car.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 AM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Thumbs up

The bottle is tilted because of the siphon tube, and facing backward to easily get to **** to turn on/off bottle.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

When Nitrous Oxide is stored in the bottle it's gas over liquid. Both Gas and Liquid are delivered to the engine. Siphon-less bottles must point valve down to deliver Nitrous properly. Siphon feed bottles still need to be positioned properly (siphon tube slanted downward) when laying horizontal.

Originally Posted by Schaub85

Last edited by BigJoeNY; 07-22-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

Valves to the back for safety.

Originally Posted by DoobieBrother
I'd have to say because you lose some pressure as you use it. Notice most every drag car you see has the bottle tilted with valve facing back of the car.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:57 AM
DosDiablos
6th Gear

To be honest I don't know much about Nitrous. I'm in the learning stage.

I kinda' inherited a bike that has two-two pound (at least I think their close to two pound. they look like half of a car size bottle) nitrous bottles on each side of the back fender, in custom brackets. "Valve End" slightly higher than the rear.

I was thinking about running the smaller 10/12oz. bottles, cuz I thought it would look better and I think that's a little overkill with the big one's... right? Why would you need so much nitrous? Looks kinda' silly to me.

I like where they are, just wanted to downsize. Does anyone see any probs. with that?

Last edited by DosDiablos; 07-23-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

The more the better IMOH. I only run 2 - 12's because they look better but I have to constantly fill as I am a nitrous junkie. Maybe 10 short runs per 2 - 12's. To be honest, if it's something that came with a bike and not ever in your intentions, I would disconnect the nitrous system. There are quite a few things you need to know that are pretty important if you don't want to grenade the motor. Most systems I see are not setup correctly to take every precaution. It's not rocket science and you can do the research and become knowledgeable in NOS but remember.... nothing is 100% safe when using Nitrous.

Last edited by BigJoeNY; 07-23-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 AM
hoytheld
Cruiser

I often see bikes with nitrous on them and ask myself..."why?"

Is there a need to have this that is practical? Isn't fast....fast enough? It reminds me of a time 2 yrs ago...we were sitting at a bar during MB bike week...in rolls this Boss Hoss with a 615 CI Merlin race engine...set at 1100 HP.....and nitrous........what a joke.

I assume it is more if a "visual" thing? why dont you just get a couple fancy stainless thermos' and run a fake braided ss line from the top....caffeine injection...newest thing out right now....ooo and ahhh the crowd

Plus...if you ever lay your bike down and mash the bottle.........you get the idea....I am sure those bottles are running more than a couple of lb's psi.....you will be picking nos bottle parts out of you rectum for weeks....if you live through the fire that is....

Last edited by hoytheld; 07-23-2009 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Brackets