Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front forks leaking from cap nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front forks leaking from cap nuts

My front forks leak from the upper cap nuts and I can't get them to stop. I've replaced the rubber o-rings twice...and still the leak!

They never leaked until I switched from HD SE fork oil back to regular HD fork oil on the last fork oil change Not sure if that has anything to do with it that or not...but it's starting to get on my nerves.

Both sides leak...not a lot, and not all the time. They usually leak a little after a long ride...seems like the oil needs to get warm before it starts seeping. The oil looks to come out of the top of the fork at the cap nut, and runs down the side until it hits the pinch bolt area and seeps out onto the upper fork chrome covers.

Could it be that I have overfilled my forks? I remember when I lowered the front end, I filled the forks with same amount of fluid that I removed at stock height. The more I think about it, I think that was a bad move! Since the forks are compressed 2 more inches, it would seem to me that they should require less fluid now. Maybe the heaver SE oil didn't leak out but because I've gone back to the lighter oil it can slip through that o-ring easier.

Does that sound right? Any ideas?

For those on the board who have lowered there front forks 2 inches, did you use less oil to refill the forks than at stock height?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Think my 2" drop I used 12 OZ and then had to remove some from each side.

Who the fvck am I to comment though. I have a fork seal gushing the SE Fork oil blood everytime it gets hot out as well!! Its almost embarrassing and I have been way to lazy to fix it. Sheese I actually jammed a HD soft towell dealie in the boot to catch the seepage til I get time to fix it.

Fvck thats ghetto.

EDIT:
I had a Moto Cross racer buddy set the forks up for me once. Man they havent worked that good since Cuz' I been doing em. He did 11.1 OZ per side. Just called him and he had it written down.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I put 12oz in mine when I lowered it. No issues here though, yet.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master

Ok sounds like I have a mission...gonna drain the forks this week and add 11oz's per side...standard HD fork oil again...throw in some new cap nut o-rings...and see what happens.

I'll let ya know how it goes...probably won't be for about a week or so though.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you pulled the front cover off, to check an make sure the tubes have not unscrewed a bit off the fork tube plug? On my 06 Fatboy, the right front tube either unscrewed about 1/8 inch or it was never fully screwed on from the factory. Either Way, it leaked, the pinch bolts were all tight. I would pull the cover and check. I would also consider completely pulling the tubes and plugs giving everything a good cleaning. If you have changed the o-rings, torqued correctly and it is still leaking, I would not think your leak is from the cap, but between the plug and tube.
Good Luck, just an idea.
Travis

Old 07-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
Have you pulled the front cover off, to check an make sure the tubes have not unscrewed a bit off the fork tube plug? On my 06 Fatboy, the right front tube either unscrewed about 1/8 inch or it was never fully screwed on from the factory. Either Way, it leaked, the pinch bolts were all tight. I would pull the cover and check. I would also consider completely pulling the tubes and plugs giving everything a good cleaning. If you have changed the o-rings, torqued correctly and it is still leaking, I would not think your leak is from the cap, but between the plug and tube.
Good Luck, just an idea.
Travis
Good post Travis!!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes dirt gets lodged on the forks themselves and the tiny pieces of dust / dirt get lodged up into the seal......this happened to a buddy of mine and he used something similiar to what is posted here http://pitposse.com/moprosefosec.html to remove the dirt. Once he did this the leak stopped.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master

Originally Posted by tlb
Good Luck, just an idea.
Travis
Thanks for that info...I will pull those covers off...probably even loosen up the pinch bolds and let the forks slide down just enough to check for tightness on those fork tube plugs.

Always best to cover as many bases as possible!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 PM
GNR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get this, my left fork was leaking today up top at the upper cap nut. I just noticed it today after a long ride. I had also put HD SE fork oil in. I went to replace the rubber o-ring and use my fork measuring tool and compare oil levels from left to right. So what did I find, 2 metal washers under the cap nut on the left and one on the right. WTF!!! I did not notice this when I had my forks apart having the lower fork tubes powder coated. I did not purchase an extra washer for the rebuild; I think this was a factory thing, Priceless!! So the left cap nut did not screw in enough to make the seal, the weird thing is I did not have a leak the 1st 600 miles before I took it apart, I figure it was either the HD SE fork oil and or I did not tighten the cap nut as it was from factory.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

On the wide glide style front ends there are two places that the oil can leak... one is from under the cap nut and the other is from under the spring retainer. Make sure which one of yours is leaking. There is an oring for the spring retainer and a rubber washer for the cap nut. The rubber washer can get zapped by the cap nut washer if you aren't careful with alignment when you reinstall your cap nut. The spring retainer can also loosen from vibration.

I think this problem is more common than you would expect.

C#

Quick Reply: Front forks leaking from cap nuts