Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLH triple tree on a softail frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FLH triple tree on a softail frame?

Okay... I know the FLH triple trees are 1/4" wider and the idea behind swapping triple trees is to be able to put a stock FLH outer and inner fairing on my 07' Fatboy. The stock rake on the FB is greater than the FLH (32 vs. 28?) so I'm wondering how the "lean back" of the greater neck rake would effect mounting the stock FLH fairing to the softail frame. Would the fairing hit? Would the inner fairing work? What about the switch bar at the bottom?

I know there are lots of aftermarket fairings available, and I run a stocker from a 70's FLH on my FB already, so I'm WAY familiar with what adding the aftermarket fairing is all about. I don't need any of that... been there, read all the info. This question is more about what it takes to add a stock style late model inner/outer FLH fairing to a late model softail frame.

Anyone done this? Other than telling us you like or dislike the idea, does anyone have any solid technical information or opinion on whether this would work?

Thanks all.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:31 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you talking about throwing bagger trees on the softail or installing the batwing on your stock trees? they both might be a little more difficult than just a simple swap. the trees on a bagger are actually reversed to where the neck is ahead of the forks. this is why a bagger is stable with less rake.

it could be an easy swap. hell, what do i know. just pointing out the obvious. your bike looks righteous with the batwing on it. different and cool...

grimm

Last edited by grimm; 07-29-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a WILD idea. I guess it will come down to a lot of measuring on an FLH and then comparing to your Fatty. Good Luck keep us posted with your project.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:43 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Yosemite
Okay... I know the FLH triple trees are 1/4" wider and the idea behind swapping triple trees is to be able to put a stock FLH outer and inner fairing on my 07' Fatboy. The stock rake on the FB is greater than the FLH (32 vs. 28?) so I'm wondering how the "lean back" of the greater neck rake would effect mounting the stock FLH fairing to the softail frame. Would the fairing hit? Would the inner fairing work? What about the switch bar at the bottom?

I know there are lots of aftermarket fairings available, and I run a stocker from a 70's FLH on my FB already, so I'm WAY familiar with what adding the aftermarket fairing is all about. I don't need any of that... been there, read all the info. This question is more about what it takes to add a stock style late model inner/outer FLH fairing to a late model softail frame.

Anyone done this? Other than telling us you like or dislike the idea, does anyone have any solid technical information or opinion on whether this would work?

Thanks all.
Yosemite You do not need to go through all of that drama. Pull youir forks than center the triple tree clamp with a spot than drill and tap. If you wish to purchase a shovel head "King of the Road" fairing the OEM brackets with the OEM holes will line up if you purchase them before hand. I did this on my brand new 2005 ST Super Custom in November of 2004. It works just fine. Of course they do not inners.

If you wish to run a windshield you can purchase a brand new OEM than use the bolts on the top than purchase one new style outer fairing and cut the bottom of the headlight and trim to fit. I suggest fabricating bottom brackets and you are go to go. I have a Zip file for a How-To. One of these days I'll put it on my site. Did I mention that if you purchase the Quick Detach OEM windshield you will have a Quick Detach windshield/fairing.

With a little pre-thought you do not need to spend a boat load of cash. If you wish to have instant gratification than the $1,000 + options are for you.