Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

springer fender kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:06 PM
fireman02
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springer fender kit?

Is there a company out there that makes a kit that centers the front fender on Springer's? At first I thought it was just mine that is off, but every springer with a 21" rim I have seen is the same. The fender is off center a little.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:16 PM
dutchman1954
Stage IV
Default Check wheel offset

It might not be the fault of the fender but the offset on the wheel hub to the rim. If it has been respoked and the offset is not correct, this will make it not center. I had this same situation when I replaced my stock spokes with stainless. Turned out the guy that did the job used the dyna specs instead of the springer.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 PM
fireman02
Intermediate

That could be it. However the rim and tire are lined up perferctly with upper part of forks and the frame.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine appears to be on the money. X-bones with a springer fender, all stock H-D parts.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 AM
pbasz
Intermediate

All FXSTS springers (i.e not x-bones or FL's) have the front wheel offset closer to the caliper side. If you take a ruler and measure the distance from your fork to the rim, you will see that the whole wheel is offset, not just the fender. I have yet to get a good answer out of any dealership or even the factory. More than likely it was easier to make this way and required one less spacer. If you want to fix it you will need to shorten or get a new spacer on the side opposite the brake caliper, add a spacer to the caliper side, take material off the fender mounts on the side opposite the caliper, find a way to move the brake stay and calipers side fender mounts inboard.

The offset is definitely noticeable when making slow speed turns to the right, and if you really know your bike you will feel it in the sweepers too.

IMO get the spacers, have a new brake stay bent up to match the new offset, lace the hub up to a slightly wider rim to get some more meat on the front end and forego the fender. You can always shave most of the fender mount lugs off and put in some chrome top caps to clean it up.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
fireman02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pbasz
All FXSTS springers (i.e not x-bones or FL's) have the front wheel offset closer to the caliper side. If you take a ruler and measure the distance from your fork to the rim, you will see that the whole wheel is offset, not just the fender. I have yet to get a good answer out of any dealership or even the factory. More than likely it was easier to make this way and required one less spacer. If you want to fix it you will need to shorten or get a new spacer on the side opposite the brake caliper, add a spacer to the caliper side, take material off the fender mounts on the side opposite the caliper, find a way to move the brake stay and calipers side fender mounts inboard.

The offset is definitely noticeable when making slow speed turns to the right, and if you really know your bike you will feel it in the sweepers too.

IMO get the spacers, have a new brake stay bent up to match the new offset, lace the hub up to a slightly wider rim to get some more meat on the front end and forego the fender. You can always shave most of the fender mount lugs off and put in some chrome top caps to clean it up.
Thanks, this may be the route I go.