Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fatboy v/s softtail deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM
sp9997
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fatboy v/s softtail deluxe

I need some help in deciding my best options here. I am one of the many vertically challenged harley fans. I like the Fatboy and also like the classic look of softtail Deluxe. I am 5'4" / 5'5" with my riding boots. what would be the best option for me.

1) Lower my ride. If so what route..lowering kit v/s replacing shocks.
2) Does lowering give me less cornering clearance, I would hate sparks flying out while I am leaning in a corner.
3) Do I have to change the handle bars for a better reach. What are the best reach handle bar for someone like me. I would like to sit upright without having to lean forward for the handle bar.
4) which is a better ride of the two fatboy or Deluxe.

I have looked and searched for this info in the forum extensively and have not found all this info to the extent I would like to... this is a make or break thing for me... If not I will have to think about Dynas but I would like softails over dyna.. Please help... Thank you all..

Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 AM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to prefer to work on the seat first to lower my riding height. Everything else does in fact affect ground clearance and handling. Mean City can reduce the seat height 1"-2", you could go even more is you choose to change shock or install a front and/or rear lowering kit. Mean City can even change you to am ore forward sitting position.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

If you like the Fatboy, buy it and deal with the height later. You don't buy a bike just for the height, do you? So many options out there, lower seat, shocks etc.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
USMC Mustang
Intermediate

Honestly, you shouldn't have any problem on a stock Deluxe. If so, there are plenty of seat options out there. I am a huge fan of the Deluxe over a Fat Boy because I like the look ,the passing lamps and the tombstone tail light. Like anything looks are personal preference though. The Deluxe sits prety damn low.

my $.02 cents

Old 08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Buy the bike you like, they are both the same basic platform with differences in styling.

The Deluxe is 1" lower stock , but both bikes can be lowered more with a lowering kit or shocks. Seats can be changed as well as bars. You can alter both bikes with the same mods. Anything you do to lower the bike other than the seat will change the lean angle and you will scrape the floor boards earlier. But with these bikes youll scrape once in a while any way

Take a look at the 2010 Fat Boy Lo its supposed to be the lowest seat height

Look at the C & C Seat site for ideas www.ccseats.com and the Wild Ones Handle Bars site for bars www.wild1sinc.com and progressive for suspension ideas.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

seats make a huge difference! i got a danny gray seat for my fatboy. it lowered it so much I raised the suspension back up to stock. like you i am only 5-5 myself

Old 08-05-2009, 03:24 PM
sp9997
Tourer

Originally Posted by wils5150
seats make a huge difference! i got a danny gray seat for my fatboy. it lowered it so much I raised the suspension back up to stock. like you i am only 5-5 myself
I just got back from the harley dealership. I love the deluxe and I love the fatboy lo even more.. I sat on both the stock 2010 fatboy and deluxe. I had no problem with the deluxe but what I felt that I had to stretch or scoot to reach the rear brake & shifter..which I hope can be fixed with a seat.. did you have a issue with the shifter and rear brake if so how did you overcome that is there a way I can bring back the shifter and rear brake a inch or so also can the footboards be adjusted to move back inch or half???

Old 08-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

A reduced reach seat will push you towards the controls. Problem solved.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know the specs on the new Fatboy Lo? I've got a Deluxe but I'm thinking of trading in my Sportster for another bike and the Lo seems perfect. The Deluxe just fits me...would the Lo be lower and by how much?

Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Driften
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psuchit
I just got back from the harley dealership. I love the deluxe and I love the fatboy lo even more.. I sat on both the stock 2010 fatboy and deluxe. I had no problem with the deluxe but what I felt that I had to stretch or scoot to reach the rear brake & shifter..which I hope can be fixed with a seat.. did you have a issue with the shifter and rear brake if so how did you overcome that is there a way I can bring back the shifter and rear brake a inch or so also can the footboards be adjusted to move back inch or half???
I think you have your answer! I bought my Deluxe before the Fatboy Lo was introduced. I love my Deluxe. You should what with what you like the feel and looks on. I both bikes can be molded to fit your body. Its only costs money. I am 5'9" with short legs. The Deluxe is a great fit stock but I could use the seat being an inch closer to the bars.

The two bikes have a much different look. So go with what you like, and have it adjusted to fit.

Quick Reply: fatboy v/s softtail deluxe